SKCC "Etiquette"

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KO4LZ, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, why not a club to promote CW use? There is no point if you don't want to join or participate. But there is no harm either. And it's not like SKCC is the only club that promotes CW. Off the top of my head, there are also FISTS and CWOps clubs.

W5BIB, KO4LZ and N2EY like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of the ten-ten numbers on 10 meters if that's your thing fine but you don't need a number to work the band and promote activity best way to do that is to get on and operate.

3. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm using a paddle and someone answers with thier SKCC number I just switch to a mechanical key for the response and finish the QSO using a mechanical key. Strictly speaking, it violates the rules but it's simpler than starting over. After I reached Tribune I stopped keeping count.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just don't get that a keyboard is easier than using a straight key or even a keyer paddle ????
    I have a lot harder effort typing even though I learned it in high school and typed in the army, I can send with a paddle or Bug, much faster than I type . I have age related problems with my hands now and the straight key even is getting uncomfortable to use for more than a short QSO. Typing is slow and tedious to me.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why be half-assed lazy? Go pro. Pull out all the stops and get on the lastest-greatest, au courant digital mode, sit back, and watch your robotized amateur radio station make contacts all by itself. Don't forget to forward all the awards to Joe Taylor, though.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A Computer Hobby
    With the computer logs, digital modes proliferating (a new mode for DIGI ops to try every few months), Download your log automatically to LoTw every day.
    Rigs with no front panel buttons and knobs and you control it from your computer keyboard and monitor.
    Run a contest completely by computer programs, a hands free operation, in essence.
    I am wondering if Amateur Radio is becoming a computerist's hobby with the radio as just an other ancillary device like a printer or mouse. :eek:
    The SKCC organization may be the last hold out for some manual operation of Ham Radio !!:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    WD4IGX, N8AFT and WN1MB like this.
  7. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.keyhero.com/free-typing-test/
    Just went here. Did three tests, forgot to check the first one. Second one was 60wpm, third was nearly 89wpm. Granted, that was not using the number row, and it was simple text. During the course of a normal workday I might type 10 or more emails (each of at least a paragraph, plus some addresses), and I might type up a few documents. On a less typical day I might type up several pages of stuff. I'm sure that pales in comparison to what one might have copied on a mill back in the day, let alone what an administrative assistant might do. Point is: I know how to touch type, and it's second nature to me.

The problem with a paddle, and moreso with a straight key: I wind up counting dits and dahs. On a keyboard, I don't have to think about patterns.

I have noticed problems sending above 15wpm on my BY1. I get extra dits or days. I'm sure it's a practice thing, but it bugs me to no end--often I switch mid-QSO to a keyboard, as I hate to send sloppy code. I'm not sure if it's a practice thing or what--I have very bad handwriting, so perhaps I just have awful dexterity.

8. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Eh, too much work.

I realize that you're pulling my leg (I think), but I like the challenge of learning code. Call me what you will, but I just am not interested in learning how to send high speed on a paddle, less so on a straight key. Just not my cup of tea.

I did PSK31 for a while, I liked that, maybe some day I'll try again.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct: I was pulling your leg.

I really have to tip my hat to you and others who have decided to learn and use the code. Back when I got started, Morse was mandatory. No code - no license. So I really had no choice if I wanted to be a ham.

Nowadays with no code licensing, folks choose the sometimes steep path to learning and using the code. And that's admirable. I'll QRS and chat, too. And I'll try to never forget my early days working on my code proficiency.

So I'll call you a real ham.

N1OOQ, KD8EDC, N8AFT and 1 other person like this.
  10. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've known about SKCC and finally joined last week. I don't know if I'm going to start climbing their awards ladder (maybe I will), but I joined as that some of the SKCC members I've ragchewed with have been great.

I may do the Weekend Sprint thing this coming Saturday.

N2SUB likes this.