Six Meters Open Nice Today.

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K2WH, Jun 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first since putting up a new antenna, a turnstile.

upload_2020-6-3_15-43-16.png

KP4SX likes this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it certainly opened nicely. I came in after it got too dark to work in the yard and worked J73WA for a new one. Then a bunch of sixes on the West Coast. The ones I could work had signals between -3 and +4! I already have the LoTW QSL from Dominica!

Zak W1VT

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Anyone try CW or SSB? Or was it just FT8?

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Several guys on slack vhf-chat talked about a lot of phone and cw contacts.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tuned down to 50.125 and up to 51.0, nothing but static in NJ.

50.313, crowded with signals.

6. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate mostly CW. 6m was good for quite a while yesterday, but I believe most of the activity was on FT8. On 06/03/20, I had 11 QSOs on 10m and 17 QSOs on 6m.

Would that I could have been on the air for more time, but duties around the domicile required my presence, not the least of which was assisting the XYL with her new flower bed. Another limitation was a bunch of scattered T-storms that migrated up from the south in the early evening and hung around for a while. Not much rain but plenty of lightning in the area. Both of my lightning detectors got a good workout. They got more contacts than I did on 6m and 10m combined:(

I wish more ops would use CW.

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last night was the most INTENSE Operating I have done in years!
    I came home from the Crest Clubhouse around 3PM PDT and checked 6M. A few E skip stations were coming in. Soon enough, most of the hams locally that have a rig on 6 were on and working East. I kept busy all afternoon and into the deep night, when I finally decided to go to bed.

Most exciting was watching all the East Coast states work into Japan! I couldn't hear the JAs here, so went back East again. Since FT8 is so slow, it took a long time with many retries to get QSOs in the log. On SSB it would have been a 5 second exchange and we'd be logged and off to find more!
    But thats where EVERYONE IS, so I stayed put on 50.313. As it is, I logged over 2 pages of QSOs in my good old fashioned ARRL Logbook. Then quickly uploaded all the FT8 contacts into LOTW before I went to bed!
    This morning, most are already confirmed!

Evidently I was well heard!
    Clipboard01.jpg

KP4SX likes this.
  8. WA6MHZ

OH I was also heard well in Hawaii, but I never turned the beam that way!!

9. WA6MHZ

Rig here is a FTdx5000MP (and Signalink) into a 7 element M2 beam at 50ft. some blockage to southeast. I have the SB226 at a KW but that isn't hooked up to the 5000. that is only for SSB on the FT736R. But the 5000 at 200W out does just great on FT8!

10. WA6MHZ

Most of the 1s were drowned out here by the 8s and 9s. Sure wish I could have found U Zak! Gotcha on a few other bands but not 6 yet! 73