Singnal on waterfall / scope that follows frequency

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2NOM, Jan 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello,

I have a new Yaesu FTDX-3000. I've just started digging into the waterfall / scope features and noticed that I have a signal showing that follows the dial on all bands. I have already sent in a support request to Yaesu but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I checked all sources of RFI here and unplugged everything and the signal persists. It is there even if I go to ANT2 or ANT3 which have not antenna's on them.

20190126_094452.jpg

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have the answer but wonder how far away from the tuned frequency it is?

Some math might find that it's a mixer product.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, this was my thought, as well.

I had a P3 that also did something very similar. Sometimes the "birdie" would move with the dial, and sometimes against the dial.

KA4DPO likes this.
  4. AI4JD

AI4JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine always has a signal thats +30k from the center of the scope. Its internal to rig i assume as I have seen others post about it.

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen the 'reverse' ones on my SM220/TS830.

Playing around with one of the nooelec dongles that sorta thing shows up also, both forward and reverse.

Birdies aren't really a problem if they aren't IN the receiver passband, but bandscope can show them.

Kind of like a 'floater' in your eye... Try to look at it and it moves away.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant to ask, is that signal 'swamped' by band noise once an antenna is connected? Can you still see it then?

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I read somewhere that it is an internally generated spur that Yaesu can't fix, but band noise will attenuate it. That was one of the reasons so many people dumped the radio. I honestly don't think it's a real problem since it is not in the IF (DSP), or audio passband. It is a visual nuisance so if you don't look at it then everything is fine. Seriously though, that is poor engineering on Yaesu's part, I hope they did better on the FT-101D.

8. AI4JD

AI4JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep you can see it on the scope. But you wont hear it at all. The signal is internal of the rig and stays a constant 30k from transmit freq at least on my rig and a few others I have seen.

9. KD2NOM

Yes - that's how I first found it - It looked like a strong SSB signal - so I started tuning towards it and it kept moving away.

That's when I went to a quiet band and got that screen shot

10. KD2NOM

Mine is also 30KHz from the tuned frequency.