Single vs double paddle key

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD5TTZ, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That really annoys me too when people assume finances mean the same thing to everyone. A new Kent single paddle is GBP is £120.10 with shipping to the US. $157.16 at current exchange rates. I'm sure it would sell instantly for $100 if you wanted to sell it (heck, I'll buy it for $100 right now if you want to sell it.) $57 to try out something is pretty trivial. Oops - I just assumed someone else's finances. See?

It's just not true that you can use a double paddle like a single but not vice versa. It's true you don't have to use iambic keying style, but the feel is different and it's possible to close both at the same time accidentally. A decade of practice in the late 70s into 80s didn't get me around that so I just switched to a single and problem solved.

KB4QAA likes this.
  2. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I learned iambic keying, but later tried a single lever paddle and was hooked. Have used a single lever paddle ever since.

I think this really is a matter of personal preference.

There are quite a few hams using dual lever paddles to send non-iambically. In other words, they're using their dual lever paddles exactly as if they were single lever paddles. If you're going to do that, then you should definitely just get a single lever paddle as it will reduce the possibility of certain types of sending errors.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, "different strokes."

I strongly prefer dual-lever paddles as I always use iambic keying and find it easier; but not everyone does.

Probably pays to spend some time using each, and see what you like.

4. W2OZB

W2OZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is the link to the article that according to the author debunks the "myth" of iambic modes. It's worth a read just for reference:

http://www.morsex.com/pubs/iambicmyth.pdf

There may be some correlation to the fact that the "speed demons" that participate in the world (?) championships I see on you tube all use single lever paddles, for what that's worth. It's just an interesting observation.

I know it's tough to choose. I was the same way and first chose double paddles only to switch later. You may be the opposite. You don't know. Double paddles are more prevalent so may be easier to sell if you wish to change, also a consideration. But fear not, I found my Kent double (it's where I last put it), so if you have buyers remorse with a double, my offer still stands.

GL es 73
    Phil

5. KD5TTZ

KD5TTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys for all the comments.
    Don't know if I was right or wrong but I played mimicked both the single and double paddle many times in my head and think that I would rather the single paddle.
    It was cheap enough to where if I don't like it, I can sell it and get a double paddle key. I did go with the Kent key.
    Thanks again guys!
    KD5TTZ