Single Point Grounding 4 Dummies

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AI5DH, May 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to stop.

Read the 2 Books I linked to.

One was written by one of, if not the, worlds leading experts on lightning, and the other by the brain behind the worlds biggest lightning protection company.

Rege

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Derek, this response is in generalities and didn't answer the specific question I asked about a choke on a grounding conductor in the loop induction situation.

I also asked you a second question back in post #19 that you haven't responded to, about whether or not the NEC requires additional grounding conductors for radio equipment in the home that you advocate.

3. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i follow this for daily entertainment. gave up comments when the king argued
    about the concept of a power supply with 3 wires in and 2 out...floating 12v out...thats a problem...!!

4. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Bob just trying to point out something I think you are over looking. Just like my friend overlooked parallel circuits and Mutual Inductance, so have you too. I told you when, how, and why it is appropriate to choke a Equipment Ground. Equipment grounds inside the house are not for Lightning Protection.So don't waste time trying to use them for that.

You did not ask a question in post 19. You said you could not find something in the NEC. You did not make much of an effort when you looked at the NEC. Leads me to believe you never looked seriously. Example 250.2, and 250.4 A/B in their entirety, 250.6, 250.8 to just name a few. Nor do i think you read a single word in Article 810 that pertains to radio equipment additional requirements. I am not advocating, they are mandatory requirements, not an option or opinion.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    W6KCS likes this.
  5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

To bad you cannot follow extremely stupid simple electrical diagrams. You do not know the difference between isolation transformer and non- isolation transformer. First year students can easily see the problem instantly. How many decades did it take you to go blind and ignorant?

Yep are right about one thing though. It is funny watching Charlie Brown make a fool out of himself.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Sorry about the distractions, Charlie Brown showed up. Check your PM.

7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

lg fault blows fuse/breaker,IF the chassis is grounded for safety. dont matter if 12v is tied to chassis or floating.
    but nothing anyone says gets thru to you.

isolation transformer and non- isolation transformer...???your words
    yes we know about autotransformers

8. N0TZU

So because I couldn't find something in the very detailed 908 pages of the NEC, your response is to say I haven't looked seriously at it? You think I've never read a single word of 810? How incredibly contemptuous - and besides, you're wrong.

You've said you're a moderator on the Mike Holt website where even licensed electricians often ask NEC questions. Do you treat them in the same haughty way? Do you put insulting labels on them like "Charlie Brown", as you do here?

I asked a clarifying question about induced currents and chokes on bonding conductors that you advocated. Instead of answering succinctly you dismissed it with generalities in a lengthy post. Perhaps you don't fully understand the question, or perhaps you just don't like being questioned on any details, or some other reason. Not that it matters now, I'll get the information elsewhere.

It's a real pity. You have a lot of experience and knowledge to impart. If only learning from you wasn't so needlessly difficult and painful.

KF5KWO and WA7ARK like this.
  9. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't ever put one on a bonding wire, but I have put one on the coax feedline of a ham antenna where the coax shield is the only path that lightning has available if the antenna were to be struck by lightning.

The scenario is a horizontal wire antenna stretched between two non-conductive supports. The coax drops downward toward the earth, and runs on/near the earth on its way for about a 100ft to a coax entry panel on the side of the house, where the coax entry panel is bonded to the utility ground wire under the meter base.

It is desirable to control RF common mode current down the coax, first by inserting a ferrite common-mode choke on the coax, and also by adding a ground rod near where the coax first touches the earth below the antenna. Good practice requires that ground rod for both lighning protection, and as a means of providing a path to earth for incidental RF currents.

If lightning struck the antenna wire, since the choke is between the antenna and the ground rod, what would happen at the choke?

I have some ideas, but I will let others have their say, first...

10. N0TZU

Exactly my understanding and concern, hence my question to clarify exactly what was meant and to double check.