ad: tbdxc-1

Single Point Grounding 4 Dummies

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AI5DH, May 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

it wont matter,he is blind to his own beliefs.he sees nothing else

2. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought it was great, like most of his stuff I need to read it a few times but it generally makes sense on the second or third pass. Hopefully he'll confirm but I assume when he says "...if the equipment in question does not have an AC Power Cord, it is already properly grounded" he meant "does have" and with a ground prong.

NQ8J likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was not confused until now. :rolleyes::confused:

Is this for Dummies only ?

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    W9WQA likes this.
  4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

not rocket science, huh !

5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

No you did not read that book, or if you did, did not comprehend it. You just described a Daisy Chain and made a loop.

6. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Correct, a typo.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a good chuckle out of (c). :)

8. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Dereck, if you have 12V and/or 48V systems, should they have their common bus bonded to the MGB/PANI bus? Seems like if not there would be no hot to chassis overcurrent protection, but IIRC we haven't been doing that.

9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Derek, I have questions about the following.

I don’t think a ferrite choke on a ground system bonding wire would ever be a good idea since it would raise the impedance during surge current from a nearby lightning event.

I can’t find anywhere in the NEC where it says that radio equipment inside a building must have a separate grounding conductor from the coax shield and the AC power cord, so I’m not sure why you say it is required.

10. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Absolutely required Steve as you know. Serves the same purpose as bonding the neutral in an AC Service. In the case of a ham radio, the bond is inside the Radio. You radios do not have the battery bonded to the chassis.