Single Point Grounding 4 Dummies

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AI5DH, May 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't let these monkeys get you down. They live to fling poo at each other.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Except that most structures are NOT compliant with code, and are not required to be. Generally, they are only required to have portions of the system updated during construction or upgrade work.

-Conclusion: Meeting the letter of the latest NEC, must not be necessarily life threatening, tecnnically mandatory, nor legally required in most cases. Though, it's a really good idea.

What a silly statement. Millions of TV antennas installed over the last 75 years. Few of which ever met NEC. How many lightning claims denied? How many Zedizens have had a lightning claim denied for not meeting NEC code? How many local insurance adjusters have ANY formal training in electrical methods and code?

Bottom line: The NEC is a really good suggestion. It doesn't cover all situations. Most structures are NOT required to be fully compliant and can go decades or even a century without being required to be compliant. It wasn't written to meet the needs of amateur radio operators. It doesn't consider cost, practicality, nor the level of threat.

The NEC is complex, and intentionally not made available to the public who have need to refer to it. Electricians and engineers who use it argue over its' interpretation like theologians arguing over angels dancing on the head of a pin. Don't threaten us with false claims of mandatory compliance or financial ruin, when it is clearly not the case. harumph.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I never said that every structure has to be upgraded to meet current code all the time, that’s ridiculous and putting words into my mouth (or keyboard!). They just need to be compliant at the time they where built, and as you said, subsequent modifications or additions must generally be to the current code.

As for insurance, you’re right, I shouldn’t have said “usually” as I have no statistics to back that up. Mea culpa.

Technically they can deny a claim, at least in any homeowners insurance contract I’ve ever had. Are they going to do it over some little thing, or over lightning which is a natural hazard and can and does easily overwhelm even code compliant home grounding? Probably not.

But would they if Dum E. Homeowner uses speaker wire to add a new outlet, which catches the house on fire and kills somebody?

KB0MNM and WR2E like this.
  4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Please be aware that many of the 48 VDC systems should be correctly labelled as -48 VDC ( negative 48 VDC for emphasis ), because the most positive conductor can actually be at 'earth ground' potential in shared 12 VDC 'hybrid' systems. To corrupt a Kenny Roger's tune: You got to know when to float 'em, you got to know when to walk away. This walk-away business can occur when different 'engineers' look at color codes and where to place the fusing. A good technician just asks them to label their desired schematic or sketch thereof, and initial it below. Black and Red are common for 12VDC with a Green insulated ground. Red and White are what the color codes for 48VDC 'hot' conductors, yet sometimes White colored insulated wire is not supplied ( by other than the maker ). Get that initial.