Single lever paddle compare to dual lever paddle (iambic)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KW1L, Jan 14, 2018.

?

How many of us buy a dual lever paddle and use it like a single lever paddle?

1. I use my dual lever paddle as a single lever paddle. I slap

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. I use my dual lever paddle as an iambic paddle. I squeez.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I get extraneous elements with an iambic paddle even when I try to use it as a single paddle. I mean, clearly I'm not actually, I'm bumping it when I don't mean to, but the result is the same. I just can't send well with an iambic paddle no matter how I try to use it, can send much better with a single paddle so that's what I use.

2. KE4KE

KE4KE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used my Bencher paddles that way for several years not knowing that they were intended to be squeezed. I am totally out of practice now. I've been using a straight key for several years now. I am working on learning to use a side swipper.

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started out operating a bug but when I returned to the air tried a Radio Adventures Codeboy and Bencher BY2. I never really got it right and without realizing, ran it as if it were a single lever. At a hamfest one year I bought a TO Keyer for nostalgia and a few years later fixed it up and got it working correctly, then restored an old gray base Vibrokey paddle with black finger pieces. This is for me, the best fully automatic key ever, as close to a fully automatic bug as anyone will get, unless they spend thousands on the real thing, that fully automatic bug someone made in the late 1940s that's rare and high dollar now. Anyway it was wonderful the first time I used it, and the TO Keyer will key a cathode keyed rig. Based on that I think it as to do with how you learned to operate and the kind of key you started with.

4. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I learned to send morse using a Bencher BY-1 and have never used anything other than iambic B. I gave up on the Bencher after many years as it was delicate and often went out of adjustment or the contacts corroded. It got damaged during a move and I replaced it first with a Bencher Hex key and later with a Kent dual paddle. Now I alternate between the Kent and a capacitive touch key I bought from Array Solutions.

I've always used squeeze keying, but I'm curious how you guys who use a dual paddle key without the squeeze technique do it. Do you move each paddle separately for each element, or do you use the automatic generation of elements by the keyer? For example, when sending a Q, do you send it as R R L R or do you hold down the right paddle until the keyer has sent two dahs and then finish the rest?

How about you guys who use single paddle keys? Do you send every element separately or do you take advantage of the keyer's ability to send multiple elements by holding the paddle left or right?

I'm thinking about finally getting a Begali key, but am intrigued by single paddle keys, yet have never tried one.

5. KC1BMD

KC1BMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't use Iambic mode nor electronic keyer. I prefer any key or paddle with a wide spacing. That could be either single or dual lever. I connect a jumper between both contacts so I can operate using the standard key jack (like a cootie style key). With any Iambic paddles, I don't squeeze but just operate each lever independently. I also have a J-38 key because that's what I first learned CW on.