Single lever paddle compare to dual lever paddle (iambic)

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KW1L, Jan 14, 2018.

?

How many of us buy a dual lever paddle and use it like a single lever paddle?

1. I use my dual lever paddle as a single lever paddle. I slap

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. I use my dual lever paddle as an iambic paddle. I squeez.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always used a kind of stroking movement on the paddle, with my thumb and bent forfinger either side, wiping across the paddle.

Having used a mechanical bug key for 50 years, I found it quite hard to change over to an electronic keyer last year . . .

I was given a nice Kent dual paddle by a friend . . . but to be honest, I would much prefer it if I had a single paddle.

One of the drawbacks is that it's almost impossible to use the keyer in semi-auto mode (which I would like to do sometimes) with a dual paddle.

Roger G3YRO

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I squeeze, always trying to form the letters using the least possible movement of my finger and thumb, and trying to keep the movement gentle. That's the way I started out sending Morse. I have since taught myself to use a straight key, but I'm definitely more comfortable squeezing a set of paddles. I've never used a bug or single-lever paddle, except for a few minutes at my club's station with a code practice oscillator.

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Very little CW these days, all in contests, and using a computer to send.

I used to 'slap' the key. The reason is that for years, my 'key' was a knife, with a metal bracket on each side of the blade, screwed on a wood base, and one screw thorough each bracket as the contact point.

Those were the days.:rolleyes:

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto. The first paddle I used was my POS homebrew single lever. It was so sloppy, I couldn't use close contact spacing. It was easier to send 20 wpm w/ my straight key. Then, for my 16th b'day and for upgrading to General, mom bought me a Vibroplex Vibrokeyer Deluxe:
    [​IMG]
    I later found a Vibroplex Iambic Standard for a good price:
    [​IMG]
    I use the Iambic at home w/ my WinKeyer USB and I used the Vibrokeyer while mobile w/ my homebrew CMOS keyer.

5. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a very, very fine dual lever paddle... as seen in my avatar.... However, I switched to using a 1960 Vibrokeyer this year and haven't brought any of my dual lever paddles back on the desk.

[​IMG]

I may eventually change my mind but for now I enjoy a single-paddle key best.

KD4ZFS, WC5P, VE7PJR and 1 other person like this.
  6. VE7PJR

VE7PJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sweet! First year for John LaHiff's baby!

I'm finishing restoring a beat-up 1961 Vibro-keyer (made the same year I was, HI, and I'm kinda beat-up, too). Interesting to note that back then the frame came straight out of bug parts. The dot stop screw is actually superfluous because the dot contact does not vibrate, so it can double as the stop. I've seen older Vibros with that screw hole left blank, with a short screw installed just so people don't keep asking where the screw went, and like yours with the Vibroplex-correct screw installed. Mine came without. Empty screw holes offend me, so I'll probably just put a machine screw in it.

Current practice at Vibroplex is not to drill that hole in frames intended for Vibrokeyers.

My goals are two: use the thing with a keyer, and to also use it as a sideswiper occasionally.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of those in the closet. I like dual lever squeeze keying better; however the thing I really didn't like about the Vibroplex paddle was "six adjustments" and every one of them can drift with a lot of use.

I don't need six adjustments. I'd prefer zero adjustments.:p

8. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine has been set-and-forget. Maybe the corrosion holds the adjustments in place.

The key is a few years older than me so I guess it's learned how to send better than I.

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not vote, because I use single-lever paddles ( three Vibroplex Vibrokeyers, two in the radio room ( two of three radio room rigs ) and one in the truck ). Started with a straight key, moved on to a bug, then the Vibroplex Vibrokeyer. Neither squeezing nor slapping appeal to me, I am happy where I am. Although I do have a Begali Sculpture Mono on my buy list.

K3XR likes this.
  10. KW1L

KW1L Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you all for voting and your comments.
    One side note:
    I have fund my sending with a straight key (see avatar) has improved after using my paddles.
    Paul