Simulated Morse QSO on Drums

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KY8D, Nov 24, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

This one took much longer to program, owing to deliberately slight variations in speed for the three different "operators". Some humor embedded in there, if anyone's able to read it. Really hard though. Requires listening to a whole different way: by tone rather than timing. Anyhow, for what it's worth...

Morse QSO on Drums

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome.

Can you copy this?

3. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you familiar with the "talking Drums" of Africa?

KY8D likes this.
  4. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't be very popular on the CW frequencies.

5. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

Elsehwere in this QRZ forum is a reference to African 7-tone drums used for communication. They would be slit-drums, carved out of wood. But more than that, no. I will be looking it up. Curious to know if the tones form a vocal syllabary.

6. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent. I remember the original. But the WPM on this one exceeds even my best speed at regular Morse: 23 wpm.
    My favorite drum solo, though (actually a duo on Japanese kodo drums) is in the middle of a song called "Hiroshima" by the Japanese-Canadian psychedelic hard rock (very narrow genre) group Flower Traveling Band. A very long song. Drum duo about in the middle.

KL7KN likes this.
  7. KY8D

KY8D Subscriber QRZ Page

If and when I get (literally) on-the-air with drums as my rig, it will be on the ultra-low bands: down around 100-200 Hertz.

8. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

That must be Wabun code then ;-)