ad: ProAudio-1

Simpson Model A

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W0OOW, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0OOW

W0OOW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it's not technically a boat anchor, BUT....
    I am looking for information or especially a picture of one. I used one on 2FM some time back. As I recall it was either 8 or maybe 10 watts out, and had 4 channels. Time flies - I miss my old Ranger :)
    email w0oow at farmpond dot net
    tnx
    -oow
    CW - It's still magic!

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

Somewhere I think I have the manual on the unit. I wrote a review of the unit when I was the first FM Editor of CQ Magazine. The review was definitely not flattering and the publisher of CQ wouldn't publish the review because he thought that they would lose an advertiser.

Glen, K9STH

3. W0OOW

W0OOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! It was my first 2FM rig. Gads was it simple! Life was simple. I guess looking back it was crude. Believe it or not, I still want a white Gonset Communicator III on 50.4 :) Maybe someday
    -oow

4. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Send Pat W6MHZ a PM....I think he's got the largest collection of ham gear of anyone I know. If he has one of those beasts (which is highly likely) perhaps he'll drag it out and take his digital camera to it.
    Paul/W6VPS

5. K9STH

OOW:

I had a Gonset Communicator IV for 6-meters that I traded off a number of years ago. Now I do have a Knight TR-106 and V-107 for 6-meter AM as well as a Heath VHF-1 Seneca, Heath XC-6 (also have an XC-2) converter, that are paired with a Heath RX-1 Mohawk.

See the photos at

http://k9sth.com/uploads/K9STH_Shack_Photos.pdf

I still have a Gonset Communicator IV and a Gonset Communicator I for 2-meter AM.

Glen, K9STH

6. W6VPS

W6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

ERROR ALERT...Pat's call is WA6MHZ...
    Sorry for the mistake...
    Paul/W6VPS

7. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

The Company's name was Simpson Electronics, Inc., Miami, FL. I actually have the manual for this model. You can also review articles in QST, October 1971, page 58, and CQ Mag., July 1971, page 31, on the Model A.

Pete, wa2cwa
    http://www.manualman.com

8. K9STH

Obviously, the Simpson Model A wasn't the radio that I was recalling! Going back to page 31 of the July 1971 issue of CQ I see that I wrote the review on the radio. I gave it a fairly good review!

The radio that I am now trying to recall was a real dog. In fact, I shouldn't call it a dog because dogs are really good animals. The particular unit did not even have an FM discriminator and used slope detection for the demodulation. Also, it had a really lousy modulator section in the transmitter and used the cheapest carbon microphone available which, in turn, produced the most awful sounding modulation. I remember that the manufacturer said that they were producing the same basic radio for marine use and that the fishermen who were using the radio were used to bad sounding transmitted audio and therefore they weren't going to make any changes just to "please" a few amateur radio operators!

Unfortunately, that particular manufacturer was purchasing a full page advertisement in CQ Magazine at the time and Dick Cowan, WA2LRO, the publisher (his father, Sanford Cowan, owned the magazine at the time), refused to let the article be published because he would lose that particular advertiser.

I had already come down hard on the Standard 806 2-meter FM unit and the "matching" power amplifier. That radio was also really bad. The power amplifier did not work at all and the performance of the basic radio transmitter wasn't much better! The sales representative for the United States actually flew into Dallas (from California) bringing several other examples of the same radio with him. None of the amplifiers worked very well! Then I showed him the other problems with the radios.

I will state that although the representative was not happy with the results, he did get the information back to Japan and work was stopped on the 806 model. Several months later Standard produced the 826 model which was considerably better.

Glen, K9STH

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Could it have been one of the early Unimetrics "converted" marine transceivers to amateur radio use? I seem to remember one or two models that sounded terrible on 2 meter FM. Or possibly one of the Wilson's?

Pete, wa2cwa

10. K9STH

Nope, it wasn't either one of those brands. The company was pretty active in the early VHF FM Marine equipment but, for the life of me, I cannot remember the actual brand name.

The radio was definitely marketed at amateur radio operators and had a specific amateur radio unit number. One of these days I'll remember.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.