Simplex QSO's on 146.52

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9BRZ, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB9YKY

KB9YKY Banned QRZ Page

By the same token, I will never understand why so many fool around in the FM rut. It is so inefficient as compared to ssb and cw (and even AM for that matter). Then the FMer's always wonder why they cannot reach anyone when they are looking for someone to talk to. When limiting themselves to such short range, why do they expect contacts to be so plentiful?

2. W8ASI

W8ASI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am quickly finding out that 146.52 is getting used more and more by people in the Detroit area. Just last night we had over 10 stations on at once and doing a roundtable, and the furthest stations apart from each other were over 150 miles!!! On the average night here, there could be between 15+ total stations come on the frequency. We have had some ducting and we are talking to stations over 250 miles away just on an omni with an amplifier in the past couple nights.

You would be surprised to find many people do listen to 146.52, but only to find half or less of them actually call CQ. Its almost compared to 6 meters in that respect.

I can understand why some of the stations didnt hear much on their trips. I do know that most of the activity is in the metro areas and mostly towards the evening, at least here for me.

W8ASi

3. KG4UDX

KG4UDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps many of us are stuck on FM because you can get FM gear for a quarter or less of what you can get multi-mode gear for. Especially if you want to take it mobile in a modern car. I'd love to do SSB, but I can't yet justify the expense of an all mode rig for my apartment-dwelling techinician self (and yes, I AM studying code for my General license), especially since nobody makes an affordable all mode VHF/UHF radio anymore.

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

N4NNC sez:

"I also hope simplex QSO's are maling a comeback on 2m. Here in VA where I live the reapeter seems to be the place to be..."
    and...
    "I just don't get it, why tie up the reapeter with chit chat when you could talk simplex."
    and...
    "Why use 50 watts to hit a reapeter when your only a mile or so away..."
    and...
    "Want a report, get off the reapeter and go simplex most people will really be suprised how far you can talk."
    and...
    "More hams should give simplex a try and give the reapeters a break for the hams that really need them."

Dude, looks like you have been visited by the Grim REAPetER.

Hi hi   hi hi   hi hi

Ok, seriously... I loved it when you mentioned: "Why use 50 watts to hit a reapeter when your only a mile or so away and then ask,,What kind of signal you got on me???"  The funny thing is that's only a fraction of an IQ point above them asking you how many POUNDS they're hittin' ya with. [​IMG]

People asking for signal reports into a repeater can be hilarious, especially when they ask more than one person. Duh, if you're noisy to ME, you're not gonna be full quieting to Jim-Bob or Bucky. Oh, you might ask how you are doing into the repeater, but to ask how many POUNDS you're hittin' is just plain stupid.

2 Meters. BAH! No wonder I spend my whole commute listening to Howard Stern and Jim Rome on the broadcast radio. [​IMG]

3SY

5. N0KLT

N0KLT QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w3sy @ Sep. 10 2002,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">N4NNC sez:

&lt;snip&gt;
    People asking for signal reports into a repeater can be hilarious, especially when they ask more than one person. Duh, if you're noisy to ME, you're not gonna be full quieting to Jim-Bob or Bucky.

&lt;snip&gt;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That is no dumber then the guy who gets on and tells the guy asking for a signal report over the repeater that he is hitting him 60+ over and then tells him its a good signal because he is clear on the other side of the city/county from the first guy. You really want to get on and tell the lid &quot;of course it's that strong a signal you are only a half mile from the repeater&quot; But then he will probably only ask well what's that got to do with it. Ya gotta wonder at times.

Gary N0KLT

6. KC9CJL

KC9CJL Ham Member QRZ Page

newbie question here....  

I just got my license a couple of weeks ago and I'm interested in simplex 2m operation.  Repeaters are nice (especially for my measley HT - connected to my car cig lighter plug and a small window mounth antenna) but they come and go during my commute to work.

anyway - does anyone have a list of 2m simplex freqs??  I'll add 146.52 to my radio and call cq once in a while.

--

Oh.. I live down here in Bloomington, IN (south of indy) and frequently try to hit up some of the repeaters when I'm up that way. Man oh man are they ruthless!

-neil

7. mackinac

mackinac Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC9CJL @ Sep. 26 2002,09:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anyway - does anyone have a list of 2m simplex freqs?? I'll add 146.52 to my radio and call cq once in a while.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    146.520 is the national simplex channel, so you can find it used just about everywhere.

Use of other frequencies varies a bit between regions. There are 3 repeater segments on 2M and simplex channels mostly fall in the regions between repeater inputs and outputs.

As a place to start, try the 30kHz spaced channels in the 146 range. That would be 146.430, .460, .490, .520, .550, and .580. Avoid going below 144.500. SSB, CW, AM tend to stay in that region.

You probably won't find much random contacts on channels other than .52 except during a contest. Often clubs will pick a specific simplex channel to use for their nets and public service activities. Listen around a bit and ask locally to find out what is in use in your area.

8. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4UDX @ Sep. 10 2002,08:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Perhaps many of us are stuck on FM because you can get FM gear for a quarter or less of what you can get multi-mode gear for.  Especially if you want to take it mobile in a modern car.  I'd love to do SSB, but I can't yet justify the expense of an all mode rig for my apartment-dwelling techinician self (and yes, I AM studying code for my General license), especially since nobody makes an affordable all mode VHF/UHF radio anymore.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I believe the topic is about FM - simplex rather than via repeater, but FM just the same. 146.52 is the FM simplex frequency. There's no mention here of SSB. You are correct however, all-mode rigs aren't cheap, and there isn't usually tons of local activity on 2m SSB anyway.

Good luck,

Chris

9. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

We have a Saturday Night Simplex Net on 146.52 at 8[​IMG]0pm and have the blessings of the state frequency coordinator and only a caution to not overrun an existing QSO and to assist or relinquish the frequency in an emergency from the section manager.
    There is also a group of old timers that meet regularly every morning on .52. The courtesy rule we follow is that we give up the air time if someone else needs it, and in a round table, if you want to talk to one person about a different subject QSY to another clear frequency.
    Simplex is alive and well in northeast Oklahoma. [​IMG]

10. W4CGP

W4CGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made one random QSO on 146.52 in my 4 months of operating, one pre-arranged QSO which was not on 6.52, and I also attempted to move a repeater QSO to a simplex frequency, however, the other station never made it to the frequency. The vast majority of my QSOs (99.5%) have been on FM repeaters. I've worked stations on repeaters over a hundred miles away on repeaters without any linked system and many thousand miles through the IRLP. FM is a great mode, and I particularly dislike AM because of the extreme amount of ambient interference that is picked up. I've not worked SSB or CW at all, so I can't offer an opinion on those two modes.

FYI: 144.200 is the SSB calling frequency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.