Simplex QSO's on 146.52

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC9BRZ, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC9BRZ

KC9BRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I drove from Florida to Indiana over the last 2 days, and
    alternately scanned for 2m repeaters and called CQ on
    146.52. I made only 5 QSO's on 146.52.

One was some folks traveling on the same highway in the
    same direction, so we got to talk for an hour or so. (They
    were driving 2 cars and were using 146.52 to stay
    in touch.)

One was a base station that I was able to chat with
    for a while.

And 3 others were guys driving in the other direction,
    so the contact was brief.

So there are people out there, both mobile and base,
    who are listening on 146.52, but I didn't hear anyone
    else calling on it.

2. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming back from Dayton to Indianapolis (where I live on the south side), I was chatting with another mobile on .52, both of us running about 5W. The Indy Frequency Police crawled all over us, told us to QSY, we were blocking the frequency. We never did hear any QSO's as we listened as we got closer, but to the appointed Policeman, Thank You. I have never monitored .52 in Indy since. You made your point. You made 2 people move off and never to return to .52 as it is now YOURS. Have fun. Call sign, never heard one.

I did use .52 last week on a trip through Peoria. Had a ball. Gee, Indy could use some lessons.

Bill, W0LPQ

3. KC9BRZ

KC9BRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I've run into a couple guys on one of the Indy
    repeaters who are not officers of the repeater club
    (maybe not even members of the club at all)
    who like to tell people what they can say
    or can't say on the repeater.

So I just like to push their buttons a bit. As long
    as it's legal and according to FCC rules, I don't
    care. I like to say "10-4 good buddy!" and
    "Catch you on the flip-flop!" on the repeater
    just to get their goat.
    We use Q codes as short cuts, so I don't see
    a problem with 10-codes. And as long as it is
    obvious and does not obscure the meaning,
    saying "10-4" is perfectly legal on the ham
    bands.

4. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a 10-100 in progress here. [​IMG]

5. KB1GYQ

KB1GYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Dual scan" work great for monitoring the local repeater and .52 at the same time. I have have a few good qso's on .52, but they are far between... Most people don't seem to be listening to simplex freqs these days, sad to say.

6. N8EMR

N8EMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of m 2m contacts are on 52. I drive 50 miles to work each morning and chat with a number of regulars and ocassional travelers. I also monitor 52 most of the time on the scanner at home. I hear people active on 52 through the day and evening.

7. AA0NM

AA0NM Ham Member QRZ Page

In Jan 2000 I travelled across the country from the east coast to Alaska. I monitored and called on .52 as well as the local repeaters as I travelled. Sad to say that not once did anyone come back to me on .52

Were I live now we can use simplex to talk amost anywhere in town and we do from time to time. We also have a linked 4 repeater system that covers a large area of SE Alaska.

Simplex has it's uses. Let's keep using those frequencies.

8. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, what do you expect from Indiacrapolis, temporary home of the Indiacrapolis Dolts "football" squad, until they move to Los Angeles?

Oh, was that off-topic? Sorry.

9. mackinac

mackinac Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0IUW @ Sep. 09 2002,10:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(it IS the calling frquency)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, you can't say is &quot;IS&quot; the calling frequency. The FCC rules don't say anthing about use of a particular channel. The designation as a calling frequency is done by the ARRL in their band plan without regard for actual usage. And that is only a relatively recent change to the published band plan.

10. wb4yft

wb4yft Ham Member QRZ Page

I also hope simplex QSO's are maling a comeback on 2m. Here in VA where I live the reapeter seems to be the place to be weather you run a HT, a mobile or a base with an antenna up 60ft in a tree.

I just don't get it, why tie up the reapeter with chit chat when you could talk simplex. Why use 50 watts to hit a reapeter when your only a mile or so away and then ask,,What kind of signal you got on me??? Want a report, get off the reapeter and go simplex most people will really be suprised how far you can talk.

My first QSO on 2m was on an old old Kenwood running 7 watts. The antenna was a vertical dipole made only of RG8x coax and I talked everynight up to 30 some miles away SIMPLEX not too bad in my opinion.

More hams should give simplex a try and give the reapeters a break for the hams that really need them.

Just my 2 cents worth... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.