ad: MyersEng-1

Simplest Transmitter

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KL7AJ, May 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

My Elmer W8BWD used to run oil cooled 6L6s, he would cut a hole in the bottom of a soup can then solder the metal 6L6 to the can and filled it with light oil. He also ran 1000 volts on the plate. Don't know how long the tubes lasted but I thought it was kinda kool.

K6RBK likes this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

the difference between " possible" and "practical in the real world" is often miles apart. I've made several 6L6 transmitters, but never ran them with more than ~400v. At that voltage, 15watts seems to be the sweet-spot for power output. At that level the tubes last a long time, and don't seem to chirp as badly.

3. W1GCI

W1GCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't commented in a while here, but felt compelled to do so since that looks just like the very first transmitter I built and used as a novice. Although when I first put it on the air I didn't work anyone, I did receive a QSL - it was from an OO letting me know I was as loud on 40 meters as I was on 80. Hey - it worked!

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes...MUCH higher Q. I've measured mine at just under 300. Sorta surprised myself!

5. KL7AJ

That's just what I was gonna say!

6. KL7AJ

MaCleans toothpaste works too...which makes me wonder what it did to your teeth!

7. KL7AJ

At Henry Radio in L.A., they encouraged sneaking of reads. Great knowledgeable bunch of hams ran the place...spent many a mis-spent Saturdays there.

8. KL7AJ

THere's an ARRL article from the deep dark ages that describes this. I shall have to dredge it up.

9. KL7AJ

Q and "Big" are always directly proportional. (alas)

10. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

That was my novice transmitter back in 1959 as kn3pil in western pa.
    Loved that little transmitter!