Simple scam safeguard: put a notice in your profile pages

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N1OOQ, May 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just posted a notice to both my forum profile page and my QRZ database bio page, stating that I am not currently selling anything, and I will change the notice if I do.

Seems like this would go a long way towards alleviating some of the scammer activity if we all did this.

K2CAJ, WD9GNG and KA2FIR like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems strange that you have to post something that you are not doing.

K2CD and N6QIC like this.
  3. WD9GNG

WD9GNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea!!! I placed the following on my QRZ bio page & in my Forum Profile ""I AM "NOT" SELLING ANYTHING AT THIS TIME! IF I DECIDE TO SELL SOMETHING I WILL COMMENT ABOUT IT HERE IN ORDER TO PREVENT POTENTIAL SCAMS.""

Also getting verified is a positive thing we can do to help verify identities.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    K2HAT likes this.
  4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another way to improve safety is to us the PM system rather than emails.

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That wont always work. Lots of people don't even use QRZ, it is not my fault or there's that QRZ lets the scams continue on there site. There is an easy fix to stop all the scams if QRZ wanted to fix it.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. No more selling on QRZ.

7. KF5QZM

KF5QZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a notice on my page for a couple of years. Scammers are unlikely to try to use my callsign because they need to do something about that notice first. It's quicker and easier for them to move on and find an unmanaged call.

N1OOQ and KP4SX like this.
  8. N0TLD

N0TLD Subscriber QRZ Page

KF5QZM is quite right -- they will move on. Like most thieves, scammers are creatures of easy opportunity. Some of them will break into a house if need be, but the vast majority who find the door locked -- even one simple lock -- will move right past and search until they find a house with an unlocked door. Don't make it easy for them.

Mike
    N0TLD