Simple Ragchew logging software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KB1YFD, Dec 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1YFD

KB1YFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks All, I've downloaded K7SU Excel logbook. Looks good to me. Thanks!

Best, John KB1YFD

2. TF3OM

TF3OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am using the K7SU Excel logbook for my relatively few QSOs. I do have the ARRL paper logbook which I use as a temporary log if I am not in my main shack with access to a computer. I transfer this handwritten log to the K7SU log when at home.
    By the way, I have paper logbooks from the years 1964 until about 1985 when I became inactive until 2017. I am going to scan the old logbooks to PDF soon so I can keep them in my computers.

Agust, TF3OM

3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those of you employing a spreadsheet for logging might find this article by Rich VE3KI to be useful. It explains how to generate an ADIF file from a spreadsheet, which would enable you to submit your QSOs to Club Log, eQSL.cc, and/or LoTW.

K4AGO and TF3OM like this.
  4. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I use. A BIC pen and paper.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks interesting. Thank you. 73 John K4ago

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using N3FJP currently but I hate maintaining a Windows computer for the shack. Since retiring I've gone to Apple and once you've made that leap it's difficult to go back to MS OS's. Frankly...they suck.
    I've just found RUMLOG on the Apple App site....quess what...it's every bit as convenient as N3FJP and more!
    Botom line....it's free.
    My Windows laptop will be donated to the grandkids. My son's entire family has gone to MS even though he was the one that talked me into Apple. He is a computer tech and works on nothing but MS OS platforms.. The reason MS dominates is because they are cheep...cheep...cheep. Just like Easter peeps.

7. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's another Excel-ADIF converter -

http://www.dl1hw.darc.de/adif_en.html

With this one, you can create a custom column layout and set the field name to match whatever ADIF requirements are in effect. (In other words, there is no version-specific ADIF conversion.) If you want QSLMSG and COMMENT fields, you can have both. If you want fields for FISTS and SKCC, you can create these, instead of including this info in the COMMENT field.

It wasn't obvious to me that you could do this -- I thought the user was limited to a choice from 3 provided layouts.

This program has no bells and whistles, compared to some other logs, such as pull-downs for selecting "mode". However, you aren't limited by the pull-down list, either. If you need to enter FT8, just enter it.

The author states he wrote it to deal with Logger32's single-record edit limitation. He imports the .adi log to the Excel spreadsheet, performs multiple-record edits, then exports it to .adi after.

But for a kind of "no frills" logbook, it should work. The author didn't really address the problem of converting some of the records, so uploading recent QSO's to eQSL or LoTW would be a problem if you didn't want to upload the entire log. You could use a text editor to copy the desired records near the end of the .adi file to a smaller "batch" file, then upload only those.

(I'm new to all of this, and I will admit to being overwhelmed by the complexity of some of the log software.)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. N9XFX

N9XFX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too would like to find a SIMPLE to use basic Logging Program. I used HAMDATA for right at 20 years, but when I was forced to use Windows 10 it was not compatable. I switched to AC Log, but it has TOO MANY bells and whistles for a Ragchewer, that's not to say I won't participate in a contest, or work DX. It's just to complicated and I haven't found a way to trim the fat. Just to muddy to learn the program. I have never found any YouTubes on how to use it as a basic log. I used it for probably two years and still haven't gotten it. In October 2020 the LoTW quit working, and yesterday my 23 years of Log history vanished. When I started the program this evening it even asked me to set it up as if I was a new account. I'm going to give NewLog a look see myself.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my update....free software had numerous problems. Returned to N3FJP and love it. I'm resigned to maintaining a Windows machine in the shack. Since maintaining a PC I have loaded my DAW (music recording software) on it and comparing to my MAC version. Quite frankly MAC seems to be headed in the same direction as MS recently.

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

How bout an excel spreadsheet?