Simple Ragchew logging software

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KB1YFD, Dec 2, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KB1YFD

KB1YFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

I'm a rag chewer and have been using paper logs to record call signs frequencies and general notes. The pile of paper notes is getting too large for me to find anything.

Most of the time I join a group of guys on some frequency and would like to keep track of call signs, names, and general notes eg radios, antennas, kids names etc. Not interested in contests or awards so I don't need to upload my contacts.

I guess I'm just looking for something simple that will allow me to search and bring up previous QSL's and add information on an ad hoc basis.

Any recommendations?

Best, John KB1YFD

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

N3FJP gets my vote.

But if just for casual purposes, why not just plain old paper?

[​IMG]

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X, K8PG, K4AGO and 2 others like this.
  3. W8ARD

W8ARD Ham Member QRZ Page

I found a simple excel spreadsheet logbook template on the web some where if I can find it again I will post it here

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I used Excel for years for the purpose of logging

Dave
    W7UUU

NX6ED and N7ANN like this.
  5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 for Excel.

NX6ED likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Try this one:

http://www.mindspring.com/~tom2000/NewLog/NewLog.html

7. KB1YFD

KB1YFD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is awesome! Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the links in the morning. Keep 'em coming.

Best, John KB1YFD

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I still use a a paper log book . . . (always thought to change over to an electronic log would be pointless unless I entered my 48 years of old log books into it!)

Plus I find it easier to just write things down, without having to use the computer in the shack (which isn't always on)

But I had thought about creating a simple spreadsheet to record people's names, etc

However, this sounds ideal to do this!

I'll try downloading it and see.

Many thanks.

Roger G3YRO

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Two suggestions...
    • Kelly K7SU has a nice Excel log (link) but, it ONLY logs.
    • I've started using WriteLog (link) in "DXPedition" mode. With a suitable interface, it'll send Morse or Voice (handy for CQing 'til you get a nibble). I use WL with my K1EL WinKeyer USB (link) that serves as the Morse AND PTT interface for voice and Morse. All by itself, it's a VERY nice keyer. I use an inexpensive homebrew PC audio interface. :)

10. W8ARD

W8ARD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the one I use to log all the NTS nets I participate in. It is really great at just logging.