ad: elecraft

Simple, cheap aprs set up

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD8YQX, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And they may not be anticipating the surprise they get when they do find you.

2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have three phones that serve the same function.

3. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And do what exactly? The crooks most likely don't know squat about amateur radio, certainly don't know what APRS is or how to track you. Any theft from a car of your ham gear is 99.9999999% likely to be opportunistic.

I once had my car broken into. They stole the Satnav from the glovebox but left the TS480 head unit in there. They are not interested in amateur radio gear and if they do nick it it isn't because they know what it is.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No crooks are looking for me, except LEFTY who has accepted the contract to WHACK me, by Hams anxious for my ESTATE SALE!!!!!!
    :)

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A METH HEAD once broke into the BLACK WIDOW MOBILE, and all he stole was my LOGBOOK!!

6. KG0YS

KG0YS Ham Member QRZ Page

I second the Mobilinkd TNC. It's really slick the way it uses GPS from a smartphone and communicates with it on Bluetooth. I'm using a $20 refurbed smartphone from Ebay. This approach includes 2-way messaging ability and on-the-go mapping, which are nice.

Prior to that, I used a FoxTrak with a serial GPS. It worked well but lacked messaging and mapping ability--it's just a 1-way tracker. Certainly low-cost though, especially if you already have a serial GPS. The dog ate the cables for it though, so I thought I'd try a different direction. I'm really enjoying the Mobilinkd now, with the APRSDroid app.

7. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.