Simple, cheap aprs set up

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KD8YQX, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD8YQX

KD8YQX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All,

I'm looking for some ideas. I'd really like to be able to set up a simple, cheap aprs set up that I can leave in the car. I also will very soon have another mobile radio to use for 2m/440 voice in the car. I think getting a cheap 2m mobile and tnc to just leave in the car would be awesome. Have its own dedicated antenna as well. What are your thoughts on this? Any special considerations concerning having 2 antennas on the car at the same time (one would be just 2m and the other would be 2m/440). Also, how much would a tnc run me? Just give me your thoughts!

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

get a BYONICS tiny trak 3 and a Garmin GPS-18LVC hockey puck (runs on 5V) so there is a little homebrewing required. I have 2 of these in continuous operations on my 2 cars. WORKS GREAT. Very simple, runs the Audio right into the mic of a garden variety 2M FM (old one, NO PL Required.) Wire to the ignition, auto runs whenever hte car is driving.

3. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't you just love APRS? Everyone knows exactly were you are anytime the unit is on. Sure makes it easy for crooks to find you!

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are into DYI, A cheap Chinese HT, Arduino Uno, GPS module and an Argent Data APRS shield.

5. KC9SWV

KC9SWV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're really into DIY, I'd look at the NavSpark. It's a GPS receiver that has an extra microcontroller emulated inside their FPGA. It's arduino compatible for programming ease and it runs at 72Mhz. Receives GPS and GLONASS for $25.00 including an antenna.

I've got a couple from funding their IndieGoGo campaign...one day I play to put them to use.

Here's an example of a small add-on board that connects it to an HT. Doesn't get much cheaper than this and a Baofeng...

https://github.com/IRNAS/MicroAPRS/tree/master/DesignMicroAPRSNavspark

And Alan, I seriously doubt that anyone is using APRS to pinpoint houses to raid...too much work and technical expertise required.

6. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Mr. Benner, I wish that were true. You can track anyone using APRS with nothing more than browser: http://www1.findu.com

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out the mobilinkd TNC. It's a very small unit that connects to your Android device wirelessly with Bluetooth, and uses the GPS in your Android in conjunction with the APRSdroid app to provide full APRS funtionality with most radios. I've had less success with the Chinese HT's but it wrks great with my ICOM HT and all my Yaesu and Kenwood radios that have the standard mini-DIN data connector. They are coming out with a new model, and they are running out of stock on the original ones. I see the price is up to $64 now - was $50. But for a solution that gives you full two-way APRS with messaging and graphical mapping support, I don't think you can beat it. http://www.mobilinkd.com/ I have a Samsung Android tablet that I picked up as a refurb at Micro Center for $100, and it works great.

8. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I stay away from APRS... people shouldnt know what and where im going doing except when I tell them. I have head a HT with GPS works. Not sure how.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like GPS tracking while hiking. I've never gotten seriously lost but nice to know they know almost exactly where to find me, or at least where I dropped the GPS unit.

10. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just be sure to turn off APRS before giving away your secret hideout, bugout hole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.