Siltronix

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5ASK, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't want silt in my tronix.

N1VAU likes this.
  2. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a 1011B about a jillion years ago from e-bust.
    Never used it and it is sitting on top of my freezer right next to
    a Browning Mark 4 eagle that came from e-bust too.

They have been collecting dust for many years.
    Chances are that they will go to the dumpster at some time in the future.

I have a BUNCH of old CB equipment lying around the house
    as I spent my first 5 years in communications repairing CB gear.
    It was a living and a very good living to boot.

That was in the late 60's & early 70's at the height of the CB craze.

I wish I had a buck for every protection diode I replaced during those years.
    I would be W E A L T H Y !!!!!!!

K4PIH and KC8YLT like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I repaired them too. I moonlighted for a friend with a radio business. He had a tech but there were always the “dogs”and my only rule was I will not work on anyhing butchered by the tech. Golden screwdriver I could live with.

I could do about three cb radios between 7 and 10 two nights a week. I made $50 a week under the table which was BIG money in the early 70s. He finally opened a big shop and had 2 techs. On my 2 nights, the techs would open up 8-10 radios on the big bench and lay the SAMs on top. One tech per night volunteered to be trained and made OT. I would troubleshoot, identify the part to be changed and move on. The tech would change the part, test the radio, put the covers on and do the paperwork which I would sign.

Many did notrequire parts so after I ran the line, I’d do those while the tech was busy changing parts. Golden screwdriver rigs were easy. I kept a bunch of tunable coil cores which would break when the jerk-meat CBer would use an allen wrench on them. And yes, reverse polarity diodes were about 1/3 of the problems.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    KC8YLT likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should not post that you were a bootlegger here on QRZ.

Now we know who made CB a ham band again like it is. :rolleyes:

KC8YLT likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Fixing broken radios and returning them to factory specs makes Bill a “bootlegger”??

Sorry, I don’t read it that way.

WU8Y, W5RHR, K4PIH and 1 other person like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a license to work on CB radios.

Under the table was not a option to keep my FCC licenses.

Do watt you do, I observed the rules and paid taxes while doing it. :)

KB4QAA likes this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For several decades, to legally service Class "D" Citizens' Radio Service equipment, one had to hold either a 2nd Class Radiotelephone Operator's License or a 1st Class Radiotelephone Operator's License. Such was also required to service Class "A" (now GMRS) equipment as well as commercial two-way equipment (both AM and FM / PM).

The only time that I, personally, worked on "CB" equipment was over Christmas vacation from college in December 1962. I had obtained my Radiotelephone Operator's License in August 1962 between my senior year in high school and my freshman year in college. There was a Sunoco service station about a half-mile from my parent's house at which my father usually got gasoline. The owner, of the station, had acquired 2-mobile units and a base unit to use for communications with his 2-tow trucks and knew that a licensed technician was required to work on the equipment. He knew that I was an amateur radio operator and asked my father if I might know someone who could legally work on the equipment. My father told him that I did have the proper license.

The station owner's son had installed the equipment in the tow trucks and had put a ground plane on top of the building. However, he had not even turned on the equipment. The owner paid me $25.00 for each unit to check out the installations and make sure that everything was legal. That meant I got paid $75.00 for a little over an hour's work. In 1962, taking home $75.00 a week was considered a good wage. Since the out-of-state tuition at Georgia Tech was $233.00 per quarter, that $75.00 paid almost 1/3rd of my tuition for the spring quarter!

Glen, K9STH

K3XR likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Virtue signaling alive and well today...

K7MH and KP4SX like this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be, and I see your point, but that is not being a “bootlegger”. Not unless he was brewing moonshine, mash, whiskey, or some other alcoholic beverages with them!

KC8YLT and KA9JLM like this.
  10. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Appropriate consequences for such operation would include, at a minimum, an expertly applied size-12 steel toe boot to the crotch, IMHO