Siltronix

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5ASK, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Siltronix 1011 was a 10-meter transmitter easily modified to transmit on CB, and the "11" denotes it has an 11-meter receiver.

I hold zero hate for CB and CBers.

It's very simple: if I wanted a Ford, I wouldn't post in a Chevy forum. If I wanted to find a new dirt bike, I wouldn't post in a Monster Truck forum.

And if I wanted a radio with native 11-meter coverage (on receive, with a band switch marked that way, and easily converted to transmit on 11), I simply would
    either hit up eBay or find a forum that caters to CB folks that are the ones with a 99% greater chance of having a Siltronix 1011 for sale.

Nothing hateful about it - simple practicality and logic.

Dave
    W7UUU

K3XR, KD8DEY, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the guy just wants a SIltronix. There is an assumption that the OP will use if for CB. People ask me, why in the hell do you want a drifty Swan? Because I like them, plain and simple.

So the bottom line is if a guy wants any radio that can be modded to work in the CB bands, then he must be an illegal operator and there for should not post in a ham forum. Let's run that logic a little further ... if I wanted a Siltronix to round out my radio collection then I must be looking for an illegal radio to operate on CB. Also just to be clear, I do CB legally.

KC8YLT likes this.
  3. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

A witch! Burn him!

/sarcasm

KC8YLT likes this.
  4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

When did they use binary model numbers?

Why not just call it 11?

KC8YLT likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

PIH:

When the 1011 was on the market, it was sold as a 10-meter transceiver that just "happened" to have 11-meter receive capabilities. During that time frame, 1960s and 1970s, there was no such thing as the FCC "no no" list and there was a LOT of "fudging" where equipment was concerned.

Like it or not, there are a significant number of amateur radio operators, generally from, but not absolutely, those licensed within the past 10-years, that came from the ranks of "CB" and who still operate thereon or as "freebanders". Those persons are always looking for equipment that is readily available which is capable of operation on the 11-meter band although illegally.

It is also unfortunate, but the majority of such requests for modification information, as well as requests for obtaining units like the 1011, have been proven to be from individuals who are wanting to use that equipment illegally. This may not be the situation with the person who started this thread. However, based on experience, there is a very good chance that the request was for the purpose of using the unit illegally.

One has to remember that, if someone holding an amateur radio operator's license gets caught using non-certificated equipment on frequencies where certificated equipment is required, the FCC will definitely come down much "harder" on that individual than on someone who does not hold a license. This is because, when the amateur radio operator signed his / her license application, that they certified that they knew, and understood, all of the regulations pertaining to the legal operation of amateur radio, and other, equipment.

I could not care less as to what happens on 11-meters so long as the operations fall within the legal operating parameters of 47 CFR Part 95. I do care when illegal operations, perceived as being from licensed amateur radio operators operating legally within the privileges of their license class, cause things like TVI, RFI, and so forth. It has been proven that, in the vast majority of these interference cases, the actual source was NOT from an amateur radio operator operating legally but the interference was caused by someone operating illegally.

Glen, K9STH

KA4DPO, N2EY and WA8FOZ like this.
  6. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I took it to mean "works on 10 and 11m"

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It wasn't illegal then. The ARRL did not, understandably like Swan's nudge-nudge-wink-wink TEN meter transceiver, but it was not illegal.

N2EY, WA8FOZ and N1VAU like this.
  8. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one once that I made to work on 20 meters. They do look kind of cool if you like that kind of look. I like to think of them like a old car someone wants to fix up and make look and work better. Good luck to the op that is wanting one, they are still out there and somewhat easy to find.

K9ASE likes this.
  9. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one. It came in a pile of ham gear I bought many years ago. ~20 years? Been sitting in storage for a long time. I had no interest in it. It came with manual, spare tubes, mic and not sure if anything else.
    Never fired up or tested. Had plans to sell it someday but never got around to digging it out. I see they go around $100 online. Give or take $100!
    I wonder where it's at now? Which building or pile? Heavy to ship from up here for what it is.

10. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Siltronix screams CB.

W5RHR likes this.