Siltronix

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5ASK, Aug 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. K5ASK

K5ASK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any siltronix 1011 in excellent condition for sale. I prefer not to buy on ebay or amazon. Thanks, Larry
    K5askem36@gmail.com

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

There is some history as to why Siltronix came into being. That company was a ploy by Swan. The 1011 was originally sold as part of the Swan line of equipment but was obviously intended for illegal use on Class "D" Citizen's Radio Service frequencies. The ARRL threatened Swan with a banning from being allowed to advertise in QST because of this blatantly illegal unit. So, Swan formed the Siltronix company to circumvent the ARRL's policy.

Of course, everyone knew what was going on. However, since the Swan name was no longer attached to the 1011, that fact appeased the ARRL and removed the Swan name from being associated with illegal equipment.

The 1011 is not a good piece of equipment since they tend to drift even more than most Swan units.

The frequency calibration is not all that good on the 1011 and as a Technician Class licensee you will need to be VERY careful to avoid out of band operation when using the unit in the 28.3 MHz to 28.5 MHz segment. Of course, as a responsible amateur radio operator you are obtaining the unit as a collector's item and would never even think of transmitting on frequencies outside of the 200 kHz segment of 10-meters for which you are licensed!

Glen, K9STH

KA4DPO, KU3X and WA8FOZ like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

There are better 11 meter radios out there now a days. :rolleyes:

KC8YLT likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure why you'd want one except maybe out of nostalgia. As STH says, these things make a Swan 350 look stable. ;)

K9ASE likes this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

eBay has a few.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Best bet would be to join any of the CB forums. You'll have a far greater chance of finding CB radios on a CB radio site

Dave
    W7UUU

KC8TMW, N2EY, KI4AX and 2 others like this.
  7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You would have an even better chance of finding a radio by posting a Want To Buy ad in the "SWAP MEET" forum. Ahem.

K7MH likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Beware of the Scammers! They love WTB ads.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Aren't we a bunch today

KD8DEY and KC8YLT like this.
  10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

So we are to believe that Swan made illegal radios and when called on it they started another company to still sell illegal radios? Why would they do that when the FCC would go after Siltronix just as easily as if they were illegal?

I don't have any SIltronixs but a lot of Swan gear. The 270B that I have was modded by a CB'er and I took it back to spec once I got it. So the brand doesn't seem to matter.

FT101 was another fave of CB modders.

Sounds like a request for information has quickly turned into another hate CB thread.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    K4MSM likes this.