Silly Scope

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KL7AJ, Aug 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I inherited yet another Eico 460 silly scope. I wonder how many of these were made? (I believe this is either the fourth or fifth specimen I've had since I was conscious of such things). They were NOT great scopes, but they sure got a lot of kids started in serious electronics. The main shortcoming was a lack of decent triggering....something which Tektronix made famous.

There are a lot of things you can do with a less than lab-grade scope. They are great for station monitors...a very simple mod allows you to apply RF directly to the vertical deflection plates for AM or SSB (or even CW) monitoring. You can also used them in the X-Y mode for monitoring RTTY and PSK baseband signals. And, if you have access to the sweep sawtooth (it's a front panel connector on the -460), you can use the scope as the base for a panadaptor or spectrum analyzer....all you need is a varactor tuner of some sort. And with a little more effort an actual tracking generator/demodulator.

Not sure what I'll do with this one, after I vacuum out all the zombies and perform the alignment. Stay tuned.

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Eico issued a wide variety of service addenda and updates during the life cycle of this model.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I remember my first exposure to a D-C triggered Tek scope, in Doc Edgerton's lab.
    Took me a long time to figure out how to get a trace on the screen.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

XY scope was crucial to my development, drawing Lissajous figures. X was original signal source, Y was through various LCR combinations. With a little guidance, this might be the basis of a fun, engaging lab.

Well, it was free, and better than paying for computer time and plotter supplies to draw roses and spirographs after school.

Edit: removed pot-smoking comment

5. KL7AJ

An octopus tester using the X-Y mode is a great curve tracer/general troubleshooting widget.

6. KL7AJ

Many scopes with less than stellar time base or vertical gain calibration could be made genuine instruments by means of external calibrators, which were plenteous at the time. Even some of the better scopes had external calibrators. I have an ancient HP time base marker.

7. K8ERV

Anyone remember this pocketscope? My first.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Attached Files:

8. K8ERV

I am fresh out of octopusssies to test.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

W1TRY likes this.
  9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time I had one Eico and one Bell & Howell scope. Worked well for some things, especially when you can't afford a good scope.

10. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I "inherited" a Waterman oscilloscope in 1969. It was not a "bad" oscilloscope, it was a horrid oscilloscope! I already had a Heath IO-10 scope that actually had a Motorola logo on the side. Heath actually factory assembled the IO-10, put on a special graticule that had calibration for +/- 5 kHz and +/- 15 kHz FM deviation, and then put die-cast Motorola logos on the sides. Motorola then resold these to their Service Stations.

335a.JPG

The Waterman on the left and the Motorola / Heath on the right.

Glen, K9STH