Silly Question

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AA5BK, May 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Must I use my home address for the " FCC Universal Licensing System".? Can I use another address or a PO Box?

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. Any way the FCC can get ahold of you. Your mama's address would be fine.

3. AA5BK

Cool... then a cemetery it is. Its An irony that I just read a story today about Arizona. Your our legislature is spending tens of millions of dollars trying to find bamboo fibers in the ballots from the previous election. Most people would expect that from my state. :cool:Thanks for the quick response. The addresses are different in my case, and I suspect that is the case in many rural areas.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That works, as long as you can receive mail at that address. Any address works, as long as you can receive mail at that address.

My previous residence was a ranch in northern Arizona, west of the Grand Canyon. We actually had street addresses, but it was way out of town and there was no mail delivery. So we had to use a PO Box for mail, from a different town. A PO Box can be specified on your zip code, but a lot of on-line order forms can't handle that.

I found it interesting that Google Street doesn't deal with dirt roads.

5. AA5BK

That is almost my situation. We have a good mail lady and Walmart can now find us for our grocery deliveries. lol it took a few tries.. Thanks so much for the responses.

6. K7MEM

Rural living is just something that you have to get use to. We counted ourselves lucky that we had electricity. The electric grid ended just a few miles away. The was no water, no sanitary sewers, and no trash pickup. Everyone in the area had water tanks on trailers, so they could replenish their cisterns. It's a good thing that water was only $0.01 a gallon.

Fed-X and USPS could find us. Plus large orders from say, Home Depot. But Home Depot had an outside company handle their deliveries. The closest Walmart in my area was over 50 miles away and they would not deliver. On days that we needed to go to Walmart, we would pack a lunch. The trip wasted the whole day.

We had kind of a odd problem with our address. It was behind our house. Back there, there was a short dead end creepy road that ended at our back fence. There were no other houses on that road and you could barely see our house. The only way they knew we were there was that, I had the house number painted on a rock. So anyone delivering would just leave our packages by the rock, right on the road. Luckily, no one ever used that road.

Now, I am back in civilization. It took a while to get use to that guy in the little truck bringing us our mail.

N2EY likes this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, Fed-Ex and UPS can find our farm but they *somehow* can't find either of the two covered porches on the house. They leave all of our packages in the elements in front of the garage. We just recently found a soft envelope that contained medication that blew away and ended up in a hay bale.

8. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar experience. Impending thunderstorm, been raining all day. A shall-not-be named delivery service leaves a double boxed transceiver sitting on the front steps of a porch. If they had taken 5 more steps it could have been placed at the front door, out of the weather on a porch. By the time I arrived to get the package, both boxes completely soaked through. The rig inside had been wrapped and sealed in plastic, which saved it.

I've since made other arrangements when shipping expensive electronics.

9. K7MEM

Yea, the wind blows a lot of things around. In my area, because there was no trash pickup, the residents were allowed to burn their garbage. But many of the residents were absolute slobs and didn't burn very often. This meant that there was a lot of unburned debris blowing around. One time, while I was clearing some tumble weeds from a fence, I saw a rectangular piece of paper in a plastic bag. When I looked it over, I found out that it was a check made out to the "water guy" for a water delivery. Originally, the plastic bag with the check was taped to a cistern and was meant for the "water guy. The check was from a house that was several miles away from me. Of course, I returned the check.

10. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

He was an avid Ham Radio operator. He started this hobby as a young boy and it was his passion in life. His call letters were AA5BK f5e46c65-9675-45ad-8f73-b9753b83023e.jpeg

SILENT KEY.

KD4FBD likes this.