Silicon Labs IN-7300 Driver not loading in High Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by KC8KBK, Dec 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This has nothing to do with the software or the driver. This simply shows that the Mac is recognizing that a USB controller with the Silicon Labs chipset is connected.

Are you plugging the USB cable directly into the Mac or into a Hub? Make sure it is directly into the Mac, at least for this troubleshooting. Also, make sure you're disconnecting the correct USB cable during the install. It is often the little things.

Go to the Security & Privacy pane and let me know what your setting is for gatekeeper. Make sure you don't have the "App Store Only" option selected. I don't think you do, but double check.

The terminal program is in the Applications folder under the Utilities folder.

To do the uninstall (if I remember correctly: I'm at work on my "lunch" break and not in front of my Mac), do the following.

Physically disconnect the USB cable from the Mac
    Unzip the driver download, open the DMG file, and drag the uninstall.sh program to your desktop.
    Open the terminal program
    Type the following (do not hit enter and do not put a space after the slash)

sudo ./

Now drag the uninstall.sh file to the terminal window which should fill in the info so that it looks something like:

sudo ./Users/username/Desktop/uninstall.sh

Hit enter, and it should ask you for your password. Go ahead and type it in and hit enter again. The script should execute and remove your driver.

Now, reboot the computer. Once you're logged back in, open the driver download and the DMG file and run the installer.pkg file (whatever it is called). Once done, reboot yet again.

When the Mac starts up, double check the Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences to make sure there is no warning regarding Kernel Extensions. If there are, approve the install and then to be safe, reboot again.

Once you're logged back in, only then connect the rig to the Mac. Double-check yet again the Security & Privacy pane in the System Preferences, then go to the Terminal program and do the following (hit enter after each line)

cd /dev
    ls cu.*

cut and paste the results here.

2. AA5VU

AA5VU Ham Member QRZ Page

Like others have said, the MacOS Gatekeeper may have disabled the SL installation. That would be my first guess. The second is I downloaded and installed the Jan 2018 version for macOS and it did not work until I restarted the iMac after running the SL installer. It now works perfect with macOS 10.13.5 High Sierra for both fldigi and WSTJ-X to a TS-590SG70

Dick AA5VU

3. W0MPM

W0MPM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. No silly questions right? I hope. How do you get to the hardware window? I'm thinking this is what I'm wrestling with on my TS-590.

Edit: Oops wrong quote.

4. W0MPM

This window. How do I get here to see if the driver is even there?

5. W0MPM

Never mind. Found it. So I'm in the same predicament.

6. W0MPM

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 17.25.25.png
    Found this. So it's in there somewhere. But never got a message. Nothing in Apple, System Preferences, Security & Privacy. How to allow?

WU7X likes this.
  7. WU7X

WU7X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m going to follow this. Still haven’t cured my problems and have not been active because of it.

8. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Make sure the USB cable is disconnected to the rig. Reboot. After you login, check the Security and Privacy pane in System Preferences: I can't remember the name of the tab it is on, but it is towards the bottom half of the first page and says something about allowing extensions to be loaded. Approve it and then plug in the cable. If you don't see it, plug the cable it and see if it pops up.

9. ZL1ON

ZL1ON Subscriber QRZ Page

Your list shows that the driver is disabled as "no user consent". I think the instructions given above are correct and complete, namely:

unplug USB devices
    install the Silicon Labs virtual driver again
    you should receive a message at the end of installation stating "System Extension Blocked"
    click OK
    open System Preferences
    open Security & Privacy
    you should see a message stating that the driver was blocked from loading (click Allow)
    re-boot

10. W0MPM

Do you think I should uninstall the software first?