ad: Halibut-1

Why are some posts locked in the SK fourm?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W1BR, Aug 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

why are some notices locked?????

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I can say that I have been asked to lock a few over the years - mostly by direct family members not wanting the well-meaning comments of strangers posted. One I can recall in specific, was a person of a non-religious viewpoint who had a family member stoutly complain that a member here had taken it upon themselves to post imagery significant only to a specific faith - that the SK would have found very objectionable, being non-religious himself.

That's the most likely sort of cause for locked SK postings

Dave
    W7UUU

SA1CKE likes this.
  4. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

I was curious about the K1IIG thread. Steve operated one of the earliest FM 2-meter repeaters in CT.. was going to mention it, but it was locked.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Silent Keys usually don't have too much to say. :)

PY2NEA, N4ZAW and WJ4U like this.
  6. EA9E

EA9E Ham Member QRZ Page

For the information of QRZ.COM, we regret to report the death of our colleague EA9AE Gabriel. Please indicate the "Silent Key" in his profile.

EA9E JOSE

PY2NEA likes this.
  7. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I unlocked it for you.

JA6XZS and W7UUU like this.
  8. KJ9B

KJ9B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of our local hams, N9APE, passed in January. How does one get his QRZ.com listing marked "Silent Key"?

Here is a link to his obituary:
    Dr. Dovid C. Ofstein, PhD. Obituary - The Indianapolis Star (indystar.com)https://www.indystar.com/obituaries/ins132307

Thanks,
    Ken, KJ9B

9. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@K2HAT

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Ken - sorry to hear of the loss of N9APE. I have marked his page SK for you

Dave
    W7UUU

11. KJ9B

Thanks, Dave. Is there a more direct mechanism for sending in SK info? I am the secretary/treasurer of the Indianapolis Radio Club, and therefore often get notified of local SKs.

Thanks,
    Ken, KJ9B

12. W7UUU

Just post in the "Silent Key / Friends Remembered" forum and one of the moderators will take care of the change. Or you can use the "@" symbol either in front of my call or K2HAT to alert one of us.... just type it like this: @W7UUU (no space) and that triggers an alert. If you post in that forum, it's always nice to add some content as well - such as a link to the obit page

Dave
    W7UUU

13. KJ9B

Thanks very much, Dave!

Ken, KJ9B

14. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO, this is the big problem with strangers posting religious imagery on SK listings. I don't think it should be allowed.

It's one thing to post that the SK was a good guy, or did a lot of DX, or was a trailblazer in one part of our hobby. It's quite another to paste religious imagery on a post honoring a fallen ham that YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW! At best, it's in bad taste. At worst. it's an insult to the deceased and their family.

This should stop NOW. There is no value added to site or the SK forum for a person or persons knee-jerk posting of religious imagery to a SK posting.

15. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

A GOD BLESS AMERICA NON VETERAN.jpg

AND GOD BLESS ALL OUR ZEDDERS.........AMEN

I AM VERY PROUD TO SAY
    THAT I AM A VETERAN.

I SERVED IN THE UNITED STATES
    SUBMARINE SERVICE...1961 TO 1965

======= radioman_logo_new SUBMARINE SERVICE.jpg
    K1LKP USS_Tigrone (1) 1963.jpg

TIGRONE 2021 SMALL.jpg

tigrone with vert antenna.jpg