ad: hrd-2

Signalink USB in Virtualbox guest

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W1LEM, Feb 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1LEM

W1LEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In order to use Andy's Ham v20 (linux distribution including most linux ham software), I downloaded Virtualbox and created a linux guest, into which I installed Andy's Ham.

Everything is good except for one major issue: I am using a Signalink USB as a sound cars interface. On the host, I am able to select the sound card in WSJT-X and fldigi and operate. However, it appears that Virtualbox does not share multiple sound cards well. I have tried accessing the passed-through USB port, but the VM locks up.

Google research reveals that this is a known problem.

Has anyone figured out a workaround to enable access to a Signalink from a Virtualbox linux guest?

2. W1LEM

W1LEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the answer, in case anyone runs into the same problem. In virtualbox, settings/USB, with the Signalink connected there is an option to select "Burr-Brown from TI USB Audio Codec." I ticked that, but I could never get it to work--either no such option in the software or the vm would lock up. Subsequently, I installed andysham as host on another computer, plugged in the Signalink, and I got the burr-brown blah blah as an option in WSJT-X. So, I went back to the VM to see what I was doing wrong. The settings/USB dialog gave me 3 options to enable USB controller for 1.0. 2.0, or 3.0. I had ticked 2.0. DUH. I looked at the backe of the computer and sure enough I had plugged tbe Signalink into a 3.0 port. I changed the tick to 3.0 and it works.