signalink interface problems

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KA1BSZ, Sep 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a signalink at the Deerfield nearfest last fall and tried to get it to work all last fall and winter and finely sold it last may. Back in July, I got a brand new,right out of box signalink and set it up as shown in the instruction manual and I could not get THAT one to work properly. Another ham told me it is probably RF that is causing it not to work and tried torrides and also have RFI inline filter ( the in line filter was on BEFORE the signalink ) and still no work. I reduced power to 1 watt,nope. Did just about everything humanly possible and nothing worked,redid the settings,nothing. So to settle my frustrations, I gave it away to another ham ( next town over ) and wouldn't you know it, he got it to work perfect! he asked if I wanted it back and I said NO WAY IN HELL!!!!!you own it and I'll keep doing it acoustically like I have for the past 10 years!

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No disrespect intended, but that would have told me exactly where the problem was.

I also started with acoustic coupling 10 or 15 years ago. But I realized that I could get rid of a lot of clutter on the screen by just wiring the audio in/out from the computer to the radio (IC-735). So I got some shielded audio cable, a couple of connectors, and wired it together. I didn't bother with transformer isolation and didn't even try to impedance match. Initially I used the headphone output and the microphone input on the radio. That worked fine, but it was easy to overdrive the radio and the computer input was a little noisy.

So I obtained a connector to access the rear Accessory connector. That worked much better because the audio was Line-Level and not controlled by the Volume. That eliminated a redundant level control. The other issue was that, rear access bypassed the VOX, for transmit. So I had to make a RS-232 interface to toggle the PTT. Since I was making that interface anyway, I also add direct CW keying.

After a while, I added another interface for rig control, but I've been using these interfaces ever since. Here is a link to the details of my interface, if you are interested. It can be adjusted for almost any radio.

KA7SWP likes this.
  3. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I found a great way on " HOW TO CURE DIGITAL FT8 PROBLEMS ".........Simple...DON'T USE THE PROGRAM! Use HAM RADIO DELUXE,FIDIGI,MULTIPSK, and any program that doesn't support FT8. Every since I deleted FT8 from my mobile laptop,I ve been happier ever since. But I d have FT 8 at my home station,but hardly ever use it. I send cq for an hour and get nothing and send cq on HRD and right off the bat a qso. So now I all the modes except for FT8. I'm a rag-chewer,not a drive by shooter.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some software can steal your com port.

You have to give your computer a wedgie to make things work.

If you install thong all is good. :rolleyes: