SignaLink Connection w HDR on TS-440s

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4NSF, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.... here's the problem: I'm using HDR on my TS-440sat, via the IC-10 chipset, and the ACC-1 cable. It works great for controling the radio. For the audio link, I'm using the speaker output on the radio, going to a soundcard in my computer. It's a pretty basic set-up.... but has a lot of issues with audio levels, waterfall levels and so forth. SO, I want to add a SignaLink to my system.

Here is the question: I want to keep the Rig Control via HDR, but that cable takes up the ACC-1 port on the radio. For the Signal / Audio input, I'm guessing that I need to use the cable that connects to the MIC jack on the front of the radio. How does that work? The TS-440s Manual does not show a speaker output on the mic connector..... so now I'm confused. Would I need to run an audio cable from the radio to the SignaLink, as well as the mic cable? OR will the SignaLink cable to the ACC-1 connector cable (not the mic connector cable ) handle both the HDR and the Audio Signal?

Dave
    KK4NSF

2. KA5IPF

KA5IPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at ACC-2. That's where the SL hooks up.

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave -
    The ACC-1 is ONLY for Remote Computer Control.
    It connects directly to the TS-440s micro-processor (reverse TTL signal levels).
    It has NO role with Digital Modes (Radio Audio interface).

As Cliff noted, LOOK to ACC-2 (13-pin DIN, above ANTENNA and GND Connector)
    That has the Radio’s Audio Interface for routing to your Computer Sound Card (DSP chip).

Kenwood TS-440S Operating Manual
    TURN to Pages 10 and 11
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/ts-440s-inst-man.pdf
    FIGURE 3-1-2 : REAR PANEL

===
    Kenwood HF Transceiver OPTO Interface
    0F038EEA-14C1-40B4-869B-806145E2D164.gif

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    KK4NSF likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

That makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

Looking at the SignaLink data and the manual, the SLCAB13K cable is designed to fit the ACC-2. The SignaLink manual also says that SL only handles the data link, and not rig control. So the ACC-2 connection handles the data connection, while the ACC-1 connection handles the Rig Control via HRD.... correct?

5. KK4NSF

by the way.... the title should read HRD, not HDR! HDR is an engineering company. They have nothing to do with the question.

6. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KK4NSF,
    Words in the technical arena can lead places not intended. :)
    In the context of this thread and I don't doubt that TigerTronics used data, but I would have said "ACCY2 for TX/RX audio and PPT" One challenge for persons setting up a digital mode is there are two paths. CAT and the "other one". At least that was my issue initially and I've seen others have that too. One cross-over function is PTT. Your digital program as in WSJT can be setup for VOX or commanded PTT over CAT. VOX assumes the circuit in the SignaLink USB will toggle PTT if the incoming audio is set high enough. Commanded PTT is over the CAT path if the radio supports it in the command instruction. From experience don't pick both as this confuses the radio. At least mine when I made that mistake. Two audio setting to consider. 1st setting is from the computer to get VOX to keep the radio keyed,once set don't change it. Next is the TX knob on the SignaLink to set power out of the radio. Usual setup is set power to max on radio (100w) then use TX knob to set power with audio in from SignaLink. That keeps ALC from kicking in and impacting the transmit signal. My comments about power setting and ALC could likely kick off a storm of comments. Lets see what happens...

P.S. I'm not suggesting to run digital modes full power, just the setup to keep ALC out of the picture if running something like 25 watts.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. KK4NSF

"All great truths come about from debating ideas in pubs and meeting halls" attributed to Sam Adams

Since this is our modern meeting hall, perhaps the debate will lead to a Great Truth! ;)

8. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well said! Thank you.

9. KK4NSF

Update: thanks to your recommendations, a thorough reading of the manual, and the SignaLink web-site I figured out what I need, and am awaiting arrival of my new SignaLink USB box! I went with the ACC-2 connection option, instead of the MIC connection. It just seems like the neater intallation.

Now I've got to create an empty space on my radio desk!

10. KK6VQK

KK6VQK Ham Member QRZ Page

hi! so, for the ts-440 you'll need to flip the TX jumper in the unit to crank the TX audio level up. The ACC2 input signal level requirement is very strong versus other rigs. Triple check the manual about it.

I have one on my TS-440S.