ad: Amateur-1

SignaLink cables

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KK4KVK, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4KVK

KK4KVK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old Icom IC-730 radio. it has an 8-pin mic and the old 24-pin ACC port. I'm interested in getting a SignaLink, but want to make sure I understand how it would connect to my radio. According to the SignaLink USB Product Guide, I need SLUSB8R (main unit), SLCAB8R (8-pin mic cable), and SLMOD8RI (jumper module).

I understand how the unit would connect to my microphone to transmit, but i don't understand how it connects to the receive audio. Do I connect the headphone jack on the radio to the Speaker 1/8" jack on the back? Do I need to use the 24-pin ACC interface?

Also, do I need the jumper module? It looks like people use short wires to connect the SignaLink cable to the Mic, PTT, etc pins.

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you don't need the jumper module. Tigertronics includes the short jumper wires with the SignaLink. The modules make it easier to swap the unit on to different radios, but that's the only real advantage. Or, if you eyesight or coordination is too bad to install the wires.

As concerns receive audio, check your radio's manual. Some radios have the receive audio present on 2 of the 8 pins on the mic connector. If the 730 has this, problem solved. If not, you'll need to take the audio output from the external speaker jack on the radio, and feed it to the speaker input of the SignaLink (Tigertronics includes this cable also). The take the monitor output of the SignaLink into an external speaker.

3. KK4KVK

KK4KVK Ham Member QRZ Page

this answers my questions. thanks!

KC3RN likes this.