Signal strength calls?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KF7HIS, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF7HIS

KF7HIS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks so much.

That chart http://www.radioing.com/hamradio/rst.html Is exactly what I didn't find in my several google attempts :) and it answers the question perfectly.

I'm always getting hung up on the simple things, why can't everything just be hard lol

KF7HIS

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

They usually don't use RS reports on FM. There, a good signal report is 'full quieting'. a bad signal report would indicate that there is noise on the signal. This goes back to when most FM rigs didn't even have S meters.
    A lot of hams used modified commercial gear, and some of the early Japanese rigs didn't have any meters, either. http://www.n4mw.com/Regency/hr2.pdf

3. W6UX

W6UX Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose if you were in a 3-way qso (A) might ask you (B) for a signal report on (C), who you couldn't copy. So you might send "rst 11?" or "rst 219" or something. But short of that situation, it all seems like overkill. ~73

5. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

One idea, if you want to throw money at it is this:

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/3/51/1

It won't tell you "599" or "59" or whatever signal report, but it is a lot more fun than the small meter on the 857D. It runs from S1 to +60, and measures other things as well.
    Just an alternative to the 857D meter.

73 de WD0MYM
    Jon

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  6. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with S meters is that they are not calibrated against any specific standard. The S meter on one radio may be indicating a different situation that another radio. My IC-718 S meter will always show a higher value than my IC-730 (when switched between the same antenna and tuner). An old HW-101 indicates yet another reading.

I believe the RST system was implemented before S meters were a common thing. It is still difficult to beat the human brain in some situations.

7. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly, I used to do the same -- until I met Sancho Panza.

[​IMG]

He told me that since many DX stations in a pileup, as well as most contesters, already have 59 or 599 programmed into their electronic logs, to just give a 59 or 599 signal report UNLESS you hear that station giving realistic signal reports, in which case you should respond accordingly.

When I work DX that is not in a pileup I always give honest reports.

8. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Who typed that post about windmills that K5RCD quoted? The spellchecker must have been drinking that night. Pathetic!

9. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see anythink wrong wiht it.

10. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

To give everyone a 59 or 599 is like the new tune on American Bandstand,

"It's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to."

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.