ad: elecraft

signal links are junk.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KA1BSZ, Jan 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2MFW

K2MFW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had 3 until I got my IC-7300 and they worked flawlessly and never had a problem. They are outstanding and built with quality components. I've had the first versions and the USB versions. Perfect.

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine works well, have used it primarily with the FT-1000MPMkV Field, I have both 8 Pin and 5 Pin cables for it, I am currently using it with the 5Pin cable, my only issue is that the radio requires it to be in the "PKT" mode and I have a hell of a time getting the custom settings to stick so I can do USB in "PKT" mode but that is a radio issue not a signalink issue.

At the end of the day, there are are a lot of options, the MFJ Soundcard probably works fine for sound card modes and is a bit cheaper, I will admit I only bought the Signalink due to the fact that it was the trend. My first interface was a homebrew interface for my Alinco DR-130 for doing SSTV on 2 meter FM (yes there was a group in Waco back in the day that did it). I still have a rigblaster around here somewhere with the jumpers set to work on the IC-718, that was my first entry into digital modes back when I did a lot of PSK31 and PSK63.

Eh, it's all eventually junk on some shelf or in some box....

3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience with signalink is most any problem I had was usually my fault. But they do work while demanding that they be fiddled with during operation and another item suspect to rf issues. Advantage is when one grows weary of dealing with them is that they have a good resale record here and you're not going to lose a bunch of money.
    Anymore, with the costs of modern radios that connect via usb I'd tell those who want to enjoy digi modes just buy a new radio. I'm not made of money but in the long run you'll spend more time playing radio rather than playing with your radio. Add the cost of signalink, what you could sell your old radio for and you'll find there isn't much cash you'll need for a rig that sets right up with ease.

4. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe it is windows 10...some people have told me that windows 7 is a better program. Ok and yes I did try windows 7 and got the same results as windows 10 which is why I have hung out the white flag,deleted the wsjt-x program on all of my 3 computers,sent a email to Joe Taylor about his wonderful program that doesn't work AND put the signalink into the box it came in and now have it up for sale on QRZ,QTH.COM and the local swap newsletter. There is no point in spending hours and hours,getting more frustrated,upset for a program that just isn't going to work and a interface that isn't going to work either. I had this small block chevey engine that had skip and I had my mechanics take apart that motor 3 times and put it back into my school bus and it would skip going up hill.I finely sold that bus and bought a new bluebird 72 pass bus and that worked fine and to this day, that old bus it still in service and still has a skip. so my friend when you say move on...yep....stick with HRD,FILDGI,MULTIPSK. look for me in the mobile on 14.071.00 and 7.071 khz de KA1BSZ/M 73 my friend. tnx fer the advice.

5. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5JOT likes this.
  6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

methinks uuu & jlm nailed it o_O

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

PEBKAC error.

I still say someone sold him an NOS Signalink SL-1+, and not a Signalink USB.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

After some of his comments,.......... I just don't care;)

K4AGO and KS4NS like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You should always help out a brother that is in distress. :)

Even if the truth hurts. :(

10. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I once got a SignaLink USB for my go box setup. I never could get it to work right (yes, the jumpers were set correctly).
    Too touchy and temperamental for my taste: I insist on being the most touchy/temperamental item in my shack.
    No room for two prima donnas, so I chucked it.

N9LCD and KA1BSZ like this.