Signal Jamming Lamp Challenges Technology and Rules

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by WJ4U, May 15, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

KP4SX likes this.
  2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it's too much to ask people to put their phones in airplane mode. : |

K0UO and N0TZU like this.
  3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Again somebody is trying to foster there definition of behavior on others.

AC0OB and W4IOA like this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Family dinner at your place must be a real hoot then. No enforced rules or social norms. Cook me a roast dinner OM, im coming over with a gear box to work on, on the kitchen table, talk on the phone really loudly about my sex life and just be all round obnoxious. Yeah i know I would not last 30 seconds doing that in your home, because you would be forcing your definition of behavior on me by kicking me out ;)

N4CKC, N8AFT, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I do see the point why the jamming equipment is currently not allowed, in general I think it would be okay if a restaurant had such things as long as they had posted signs and people knew their phones wouldn't work at the table.

6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure would make calling 911 for a choking victim difficult and a HUGE liability.

KN4LGM, KO4PYL, K0UO and 6 others like this.
  7. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...and the lawyers might easily win the case. It wouldn't matter if the jamming equipment was advertised by a huge sign on the wall: the affected party could always claim that they didn't see it. Not to mention that the jamming equipment was already breaking FCC rules.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    KN4LGM, KG4RRH, KO4PYL and 8 others like this.
  8. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Being able to make emergency calls is certainly one of the reasons I understand such laws to prevent jamming exist today. I also do understand we are a very litigious society. I personally would not be opposed to the FCC allowing exceptions and people making a personal choice to take the risk eating some place where they couldn't call 911 in an emergency with their own phones.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Just post a sign, " No cell phones not allowed." They can put it next to the no weapons allowed sign if they have one. Problem solved. If you violate it and are asked to leave and you do not....criminal trespassing.

KG4RRH, K1XH, KK4GGL and 2 others like this.
  10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, my house, my rules, but I'm not breaking the law by doing so.

W4IOA likes this.