ad: w5yi

*sigh* What do I do with rigs?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N0CHS, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N0CHS

N0CHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone-

It's been a very long time since I have keyed a mic. Since joining the Civil Air Patrol (VT007), and being asked to be Communications Officer, I decided to return to amateur radio.

I have a number of rigs and already found out one of them is non-compliant to narrowband. So the question is...

IC-706 MarkIIG
    IC-745
    IC-2710

Is there something I can do with these rig(s) so I'm not out a few dollars or do I just sigh heavily and toss them into the trash dumpster?

w1eek

2. KF5EWR

KF5EWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds a lot like a troll...

But giving the benefit of the doubt. Find a new ham just starting out to give them to if you don't want to sell them. I know if someone offered me something like that I'd fall all over myself in eternal gratitude. The IC-2710 would probably make me weep for real.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks to me like your license expired 11-27-09. That should be your first concern.
    There is no "di di da da" requirement anymore either.

:confused:

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How hard is this?

They are all perfectly useable rigs. None so old that they are outdated. If you don't want to operate them, sell or give them away on QRZed, Ebay, local ham club or next ham swapmeet.

As you are aware, the the technical requirements for CAP comms have changed dramatically in the last couple years. Be extra diligent about any equipment acquisitions.

R, Bill

5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no narrow-band requirement for Amateur Radio. Your radios are perfect as they are. Your ticket on the other hand needs attention.

6. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W5RKL

W5RKL Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears, according to the FCC data base, W1EEK's "Technician" license has expired as of 11/27/2009. Therefore, before he can get back on the air, regardless of the radio, his license will have to be renewed.

Mike W5RKL

8. N0CHS

N0CHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Aye Part I knew and part I didn't

Hi everyone-

Yes. The embarrassing part that my ticket expired, I already knew and come Monday March 8th I should have it up to date. Baring any problems with communicating with the FCC.

The other part I wasn't aware of- that Hams weren't required to switch to narrowband.... Sorry fellas- Not gonna sell or give the rigs away if they are still usable lol.

I will put the IC-706 in the communications room of the squadron = our commander wants to have some of us licensed for amateur radio and ope on Field Day. Before anyone says anything- I am aware of the CAP use of the Ham bands and visa versa.

Thanks for the information and hopefully Monday, I'll be able to key up a mike again.

Now that the code isn't required, I'll work toward my G-license. All of you fists out there- KEEP USING THE CODE! I don't understand it but its fun to listen to in a heated, conjested contest.

(guess I'll hold off on the call till it's active again)

9. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious and I am not being mean, but why bother? It is obvious that you have no interest in AR beyond CAP. I'm sure I read recently that CAP was no longer allowing the use of Amateur Radios, They don't use AR frequencies....I don't see the point of holding the ticket, if your not going to use it.

I'm not trying to say, "Get out!", I am just curious as to what you expected from AR and I really hope you look at and try as many aspects of AR as you can.

An example......I have been laughing inwardly at Echolink. Allot of folks use it, Allot of folks don't. Me, I experimented with it when I first became a ham, decided there was no practical reason to use it, and deleted it from my computer.

So, here I am in the hospital, I can not operate here. I rediscovered Ecolink. Sure, it is not real radio, but I can hook up with my buddies on the local repeater or talk to any other ham in the world.
    If I had been using my noggin I would have set up my TS-480SAT for remote operation....Then I could get on HF from here......Probably freak my old lady out though...she'd think we had ghosts. :eek:

10. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Good deal on getting the license back. It is a matter of renewal. No test or VE session. Just renew it, since it is still in the grace period.

NONE of those radios are usable on CAP frequencies. The 706 will be a neat ham station rig to use in the CAP comm room - on amateur radio frequencies -- but it is illegal on CAP frequencies, even if you modify it for out of band transmit.

If you decided to sell it, it is worth 500 dollars at least, so clearly you are not going to junk it.

I hope you enjoy CAP. I was in it many, many years ago.

Have fun

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.