ad: SDRKits-1

Side by Side and UTV installations

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N4QT, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N4QT

N4QT Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to eventually install a dual bander in my UTV, a Kawasaki Teryx. It has a plastic roof (the aluminum roofs are about $800) so I am contemplating how to best install the antenna. I could use a no ground plane antenna but they tend to be long and would have to be mounted on the side of the roll cage to clear overhead obstacles like tree branches. The shorter dual band antennas require a ground plane. Does anyone have any ideas on how to establish a good ground plane?

2. WD8RIT

WD8RIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride and ATV here in AZ and I have a 2m radio that I use on my back road excursions. Most UTV's and ATV's have those tabs for the orange flags required in some states. Nice thing about AZ is that we don't need orange flags. Perfect mounting point!!! I used a Hustler 5/8 wave antenna. Granted, it uses the 3/8x24 thread, so I use a SO-239 to 3/8x24 adapter (CB stud type) and a small piece of 3/8x24 "all thread" and then attach the antenna. Works great and the antenna has flexibility if I do make contact with objects like tree's.

3. N9ZMO

N9ZMO Ham Member QRZ Page

While not a SxS, my motorhome had the rubber roof and I wanted a dual band on top of it. So i took a large cookie sheet, placed it on top with glue and then caulked around it. Put on the mag mount, and I had my dual band antenna ready to roll.

4. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Use the handyman's friend, (foil) DUCT TAPE!
    I have an antique Ford van with a fiberglass roof.
    I ran an "X" of foil tape under the headliner and it worked for me.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine uses that metal tape under his fiberglass tonneau cover, too, and it works fine as a groundplane.

6. N9ZMO

The biggest caveat I have about it all is the dust. The trails get super super dusty. I come off a days ride looking like Pig Pen from the Peanuts cartoons. I think a pelican case would work if you can get the heat deflected out without letting in dust.

7. N0AMT

N0AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother just installed a rugged radios setup in his Polaris RZR. 4 seats have inter-vehicle VOX intercom, front two seats have PTT to control extra-vehicle (VHF) comm.

It's pretty sweet!

8. N9ZMO

I'd be interested in seeing the setup in photos. I don't have a SxS but do have two ATVs i'm going to radio up.

9. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I installed VHF radios on our Sheriff's Search and Rescue ATV's. The radio is in a weatherproof Pelican box. They only have to open the box to access the radio if they need to change frequencies which isn't too often. They usually pre-set to the operational frequency before beginning the mission. Mic/headset plugs in through the side of the Pelican box using a weatherproof connector. As for the antenna I simply bolted a luggage rack type mount to the existing cargo carrier on the rear of the ATV. That is a metal pipe type affair that is the width of the ATV and about 14 inches wide. Plenty of groundplane at VHF/UHF. Works great. My own personal ATV has a similar installation as it is available for SAR use as well. My Part 90 radio (VHF) includes a lot of ham frequencies as well. The Sheriff's ATV's use 5/8 wave antennas (that's what they wanted). I use a simply quarter wave and have never lacked for coverage.

10. N9ZMO

Is the Pelican weatherproof box ample to provide air circulation. My concern is heat from a radio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.