Side by side 20 meter yagi array

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KG8YA, Aug 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KG8YA

KG8YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't find much info on 20 metet yagi array side by side (2 towers) in lieu of the vertical stack array

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great application for AutoEz driving EzNec 6+.

3. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

And why do you suppose that is?

Rege

W4HWD and AK5B like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Many year ago, long before the internet, there was a guy, I think he was in CA, that had the following:

Massive free standing tower, over 100 feet tall. On top was a work platform. For a mast, he used I think it was Rohn 45. I'm pretty sure it was not 25.
    Attached to the rotatable mast were 6 antennas. The yagi's were mono band for 20 meters. They were either 5 element of 6 element. So on one side of the mast were three stacked 20 meter yagi's. On the other side of the mast were three more stacked 20 meter yagi's.
    I may be wrong but I am pretty sure the array was 6 over 6 over 6 and on the other side the same.

So is it do-able? Yes, but that project had one heck of a price tag.

I am not the only old ham on QRZ. Maybe someone else has a better memory and can qualify what I just posted.
    This array was on the cover of one of the ham radio magazines, possibly QST?
    Barry, KU3X

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    KG8YA and AK5B like this.
  5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Your question is quite broad.
    What are you intending to accomplish?
    How far apart are the towers to be?
    If on separate rotors creates complex pattern issues if phased with feed lines of multiple odd quarter wave electrical lengths.

6. AC6LA

AC6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean like this?

[​IMG]
    Which results in this azimuth pattern.

[​IMG]

Full details at Coupled Yagis on Separate Towers.

Dan, AC6LA

7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

JUN 1980 - QST (PG. 52)
    Collinear Yagi Sextet, The

Author: Clement, A.J.F., W6KPC

8. KG8YA

9. KG8YA

thanks for info. idea was curious of was to disassemble my pased stacked array at 105 feet and 40 feet non rotating toward europe and reworking to two shorter towers side by side and yagis toward europe. Not conerned about rotating, just curious of how may work. i think i would lose the vertical stack low take off angle. large antennas up real high take lottsa resources to work on..

10. KG8YA