Show your satellite antenna/tripod setups

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by W4SEX, Jun 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you who use your antenna mounted to a tripod, please show a picture of how you have it mounted and the accessories that you also incorporate into your mounting set up. I have seen some pictures of people who make a wooden plate that has their HT mounted as well as their notepad mounted off to the side. Losing most of the muscles in my arms and legs, I am going to be in a power chair and will not be able to hold a long antennae out in front of me. I will have to use it mounted on a tripod and I will also need to come up with some arms on the end of the boom maybe to act as a counterweight that will hold the iPad or a radio too. I would like to see your pictures of your setups so that I can get some extra ideas on how the optimum way to arrange things will be. The antenna I will likely be using has a 1 in OD diameter boom, so I may use the RAM mount system, as I have some of the hardware left over from my motorcycle days. I could have some arms that come out on both sides and mount the iPad /iPhone on one side and the radio on the other.
    Thanks

KA0USE and KC1OCA like this.
  2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The popular Arrow antennas are tapped with 1/4 x 20 threads - for mounting on a medium-to-heavyweight tripod.

Here's photo showing the mounting hole ... you can build a tray like this one, and eliminate the proven ergonomic handle ...

http://k6lcs.com/k6lcs/Photos/Pages/Arrow_Mod.html#0

3. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W4SEX

WOW, that's a great setup, thanks for the detailed pics

5. K6LCS

[​IMG]

And it can be as simple as this: lightweight tape measure beam, and a HT turned down to 2W TX power, enabling me to talk to an astronaut who was aboard the ISS at about 450 miles downrange ...

http://work-sat.com/ISS-062814.html

W7UUU and W4SEX like this.
  6. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be cool to have a PTT trigger built into the grip...:cool:

[​IMG]

KC1OCA, AK5B and K6LCS like this.
  7. K6LCS

There are Bluetooth devices that will work ... also one could hard-wire one. But either option just adds something to fail right when you don’t want it to. Either the Bluetooth units batteries drain ... or the wiring for the hardwired option gets in the way ...

But when I get home, I am going to look at my Heil hand switch and think about it ... (g)

8. VA7TWX

VA7TWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here’s my setup - FT60 on a homebrew tripod with the Arrow Antenna - works very well!!

Attached Files:

K6LCS, AK5B, VE3CGA and 1 other person like this.
  9. W4SEX

i do like this Ridgid brand tripod as it has 3 swing away arms to mount things on, you would just have to add a tilt head on it. The tripod section starts at 4:10

K6LCS likes this.
  10. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what I used for FD. The magnets let me mount my phone in it's case for real-time tracking data. PTT is rubber-banded to the handle so I can tx and twist easily. Might use a foot switch instead. Still trying to figure out a reliable way to take notes/log besides a recorder and the Mark I memory. Wrist board? I have a heavy-duty camera harness to suspend the radio (currently IC-821) and a 12AH battery fits into a shoulder pouch. The audio recorder is velcroed to the pouch shoulder strap.

The Arrow is modified with a CF boom and the weight of the feedlines provides sufficient counterbalance I removed a steel rod I was using in the handle to balance the antenna weight on the tripod. I push the bail out on the radio so I'm not bumping into the dial when operating

IMG_20200627_160629.jpg
    IMG_20200627_160700.jpg

KC1OCA, W4PG, W7UUU and 5 others like this.