Show us your portable QRP box!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AI6KX, Dec 12, 2015.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got several different "go" boxes. The first is a complete 20m station in a camera bag. I bought the bag some 30 years ago to carry a portable SW receiver and a scanner around when I traveled. I like it because it's padded on all sides with internal padded compartments. In it I have a Wilderness SST, gel cell battery, alternate AA battery pack, paddles, zulu clock, ear buds, notebook & pen, coax & wire antenna which can be set up as either a dipole, sloper, inverted V, or vertical.

IMG_20210420_202939588.jpg IMG_20210420_203220301.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    K7WFM likes this.
  2. N2UHC

This is simply a pelican case with a BitX20a inside. I had to add the foam on the inside of it.
    IMG_20210420_203347740.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    W4ZNG and K7WFM like this.
  3. N2UHC

This is a fiberglass box which originally housed the battery for one of those roadside "YOUR SPEED IS" signs. It's completely waterproof, and like the pelican case I had to add foam on the interior, and I added a drawer pull as a handle which I bought from a hardware store. The locks are square posts which I used my Dremel tool to cut grooves in so that I can just use a screwdriver to turn the locks and open the lid. I keep my tri-band QRP rig and an MFJ-9015 in it, along with gel cell battery, local/UTC clock, paddles, and all associated accessories.
    IMG_20210420_203416799.jpg IMG_20210420_203557019.jpg

W4ZNG, KE8OKM and K7WFM like this.
  4. N2UHC

Oh forgot to add that I have my antennas, support ropes, coax, etc in a duffel bag which also goes along. I have a multiband fan dipole for 40/30/20, or sometimes I put up a 66' wire with a 33' counterpoise and run that through a tuner.

5. K1GC

K1GC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am mostly carrying my KX2 and now my KX1, and I fit everything including my antenna and feedline in the Lowepro case. Then it is just the small carbon mast and usually I have some gear for anchors to use on the rocky spots I tend to go to. Old tricams are fairly light and I can cover enough crack sizes with just the ones shown. For a few spots I carry a couple of larger ones.

carry rig.jpg