Show us your portable QRP box!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AI6KX, Dec 12, 2015.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've transitioned over the years from hard cases to soft packs.

Plano range box (cumbersome) circa 2013
    DSCN0358.JPG

Current day pack
    It includes FT818, LDG Z11-ProII auto tuner, assorted cables (25ft , 10Ft and two 1ft patch cords) all with BNC connectors, a 12AH LiFePo battery, a Watts Up meter, a straight key, stock Yaesu mic and a home brew linked dipole and EFHW. The internal bag is a Leica camera bag. The Bioenno 12AH battery sits in the bottom of the pack in its excellent packing foam. The Z11-ProII tuner has been replaced with a Z-817 antenna tuner.

Pack_A.jpg
    Pack_b.jpg

WD4ELG and KC7JNJ like this.
  2. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding Apache cases from Harbor Freight. I have my FT818 within one. Remove the inner foam. I have read the foam releases a acidic vapor and eats away at plastics over time (makes coated wire gummy and screens hazy) Not sure if this is 100% true just relaying what I read.

Erik
    KE8OKM

K3XR likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. Have not noticed any problems. Might that also apply to the liners in the Pelican cases?

4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Pelican case foam from what I understand, does not release the acidic vapor. Another solution suggested is to keep the important items in a suitable sized Ziploc bag with foam still in the case.

Erik

KO4BCN and K3XR like this.
  5. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

What if my QRP rig isn't just a box, but an iPhone app connected to an SDR board? (email me if you want to beta test this.)

6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

The antenna is a HWEF40 with a 64:1 UnUn and fits in my shirt pocket. The coax and 1/8" nylon rope fits in my pants pocket. All of the rest fits in the camera case. I operate in the KISS mode. The battery is in the radio and there's an extra battery to the right of the KX2. That's more than enough battery power for a full day in the park.

Many years ago I use to run 100 watts portable and had to use a small hand cart to carry everything. That got old fast. I decided QRP was the way to go and tried to scale back as much as I could. Other than snacks, the picture shows all.
    Barry, KU3X/QRP

Attached Files:

K7WFM and KK4NSF like this.
  7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KL2JE

KL2JE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

mcHF, 4.5mah Bioenno, 20m/40m linked dipole, 40m EFHW, Elecraft T1 tuner. All the bit-n-bobs are in the end compartments, RG174 feedline and jumpers, mic, etc.
    PXL_20210304_185504997 (Medium).jpg PXL_20210304_185622206 (Medium).jpg PXL_20210304_185627934 (Medium).jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    KU3X, K7WFM and W4ZNG like this.
  9. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your use of folded, what I believe to be coroplast, as dividers in your case. Very nice.

KL2JE and W4ZNG like this.
  10. W4ZNG

W4ZNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for pointing this out. I've been using corrugated cardboard cover over the faceplate of my 817 (pics: https://coyoteswamp.blogspot.com/2019/01/two-easy-extras-for-yaesu-ft-817etc.html), but I think the coroplast would be much better. I'll be on the lookout for abandoned campaign signs now.

K7WFM and KL2JE like this.