Show us your portable QRP box!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AI6KX, Dec 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like your reply.

This is why I got started with QRP.

The little day pack is enough for me to get away from noise.

I like to find a pretty spot to set up, enjoy the view, and have lunch away from town.

I am always looking for lightweight transceivers for SSB, because I especially like the mountains.

I would like to extend my hiking and camping range with HF amateur radio along.

The day pack has only enough room for lunch and some little extra clothing for a little cold or wet weather to get myself back to the car.

I was responding to AI6KX. But there probably really is freeze-dried Beanee Weenie somewhere for sale. Sardines have a vacuum package as well as a can.

I look into all these things.

I would like an extra LiPo or LiIon battery pack along, as well, and, find an even more lightweight HF SSB transceiver.

Now, multiday hikes with camping I only have a little SWL radio for weather and listening out under the stars.

This is so great, having QRP Corner.

I hope to see and hear from more QRP radio amateurs.

K6SQY likes this.
  2. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

My Beanee Weenee's seam to be under attack of the Freeze Dried Militia. Just in case, I put the full case away in a safer, and secure
    area.

AC8UN likes this.
  3. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Often in an over-the shoulder bag. Apart from its inconveniently-mounted key socket I find the FT-817 great to operate in that configuration.

One hand is free to use the microphone while the other can support the magnetic loop as in this demo.

W4KYR, KC8YLT, K3BOA and 1 other person like this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Padded portable DVD player bag with internal frame.

Strong shoulder strap, carry handle, looks like ordinary luggage when travelling on the airplane etc.

Investment: $20

[​IMG]

Side A - Storage Compartment:

Antenna adapters, connectors, AA battery pack (for FT 817), lighter plug wired for charging battery compartment, mini cw key, portable VHF antenna, clip on flexible reading light etc.

[​IMG]

Side B - Storage Compartment:

Two 6v DC AGM batteries wired to provide 12v DC, user manual, Nifty quick start guide, notepad, ARRL mini logbook.

[​IMG]

Main compartment:

Contains AC charger, DC charger. FT 817, microphone etc.

Face of radio is protected by protective internal frame on the DVD player bag when rig is in storage. This frame prevents the bag from crushing when stored in the overhead compartment on the aircraft, when travelling etc.

The "black box" built into the bottom middle of the "lid" is a battery compartment for an internal audio amplifier with an on/off switch and an L.E.D light. Above this is a set of compact folding speakers.

[​IMG]

Rig in operating position with folding speakers shown in operation. These portable amplified external speakers make a big difference compared to using the internal speaker in the rig.

Customized the entire setup with a Yaesu sticker. :)

[​IMG]

I use this setup while travelling on planes, staying at motel rooms and also when enjoying the campfire at the campsite.

Easy to deal with and carry along while on the go. It's quick to deploy and the built in battery lasts for quite a while.

The built in battery compartment is designed to be plug and play for a wide variety of AC/DC charging scenarios. Sometimes I use it with a solar panel for charging as demonstrated below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    K3PDH and KK4NSF like this.
  5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a camera bag for my KX-3 station. The KX-3 has rechargeable batteries for "off the grid" ops.

upload_2016-2-6_18-57-25.jpeg

upload_2016-2-6_18-57-36.jpeg

upload_2016-2-6_18-57-47.jpeg

73 / 72,
    Dean K5DH

KU3X and K3PDH like this.
  6. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

0:46 of the video below shows a lucky find at a charity shop ideal for a complete ft817 station comprising transceiver, battery, antenna coupler, end fed wire antenna, microphone, key, paper & pen.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

OK... as promised, here are a few pics of my new QRP Portable rigs. I got tired of having to unwind wires, and set everything up on a table.... only to discover that I'd forgot my power cable, or whatever. SO, I built my own totally self-contained portable units. All I have to do now is hook up the antenna and turn them on! Plus, they are waterproof, and very sturdy.... so they should stand up to a lot of rough treatment.

As you can see, I built them inside some old military ammo cans that I had in the garage. As it turned out, the cans are the perfect size to hold my two portable stations. One is my Icom 703 radio, an antenna tuner, and 18 ah worth of battery power. The other one is the now-infamous "$5 junk shop" 2m rig that I've been working on for the last month or so. They are both set up so I can charge the batteries with either my car's cigarette lighter jack, or my shack's 13.8v power supply.... or I can run them from 13.8v external power supply. Plus I can use either the short antennas shown, or other any antenna I choose.

The plan is to use the Icom 703 HF rig for BOTA /NPOTA and my Mini-DXpedition events this year. The VHF rig is going to be my 2 meter simplex emergency set-up. With a good antenna, it will have a lot more range than my handheld radios and with 18amp hours of juice, it should last a good long time before it needs recharging.

I didn't think much about "style" when I built them, but now that they are done I like the retro look of them. My next door neighbor suggested that they look like they should be in some black-and-white WWII movie..... or maybe an episode of The Walking Dead!

radio box 1.jpg radio box 2.jpg
    radio box 4.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    K5DBJ, KA9P, K3PDH and 1 other person like this.
  8. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn't the whole works. Just the Xmtr, Rcvr and access.

Bottom section is the 12 V. gel-cell battery

Next is the transceiver. TX/RX is the "73 Special", which was published in NorCal QRP Magazine. Basically a DC receiver and a VMos Tx at about 3 W.

Next up is the antenna tuner (with homemade roller inductor)

Top position is a digital freq. display. Before I added that, the calibration was printed on a chart.

Cabinet is made up from some surplus wood interior siding boards.

Floyd K6BSU

Attached Files:

KD2UHD, K3PDH, W4KYR and 3 others like this.
  9. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT-817 portable setup.

[​IMG]

10. W0MSN

W0MSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Problem with previous image. will try this again. My QRP kit.

817portable.jpg

KU3X likes this.