Show us your portable QRP box!

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AI6KX, Dec 12, 2015.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you carry your QRP gadgets around?

2. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm a bagger. Also take another bag for what I call qrp fishing. Ultralight tackle only. 4lb test ultralight reel. Can't wait till spring. Hybrid Sunfish on ultralight.
    Thanks for the new thread.

Pic issues, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    KU3X and K3PDH like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

GOPR4241B.jpg GOPR4242B.jpg Here is a pic of my current portable QRP box. Currently I'm working on a new one, but until it's finished, this is what I'll be using. It has the following fear:

Icom 703 Transciever
    old MFJ 902 Tuner
    MFJ Power conditioner ( a great piece of gear for using less than perfect power sources)
    Sealed Lead/ Acid Batter
    misc cables, mic, charging system and so forth.

all contained in a fitted wooden box.

It has turned out to be a great set-up..... and I've used it in the field many times. After the new one is completed, I'll be keeping this one as a back-up.

Dave
    KK4NSF

Attached Files:

AJ6KZ, KU3X, K3PDH and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my day pack.

I used to carry a MFJ Travel Tuner Model 902 15.35 oz.
    Next, I carried only resonant dipole antennas.
    I recently purchased the YouKits FG-01 to try multiband antennas, like the EndFedz or this RadioWavz QRP DX 40-10.
    I used it to make a laminated "cheat-sheet" for best match and all that internal tuner can handle, as I expect to do more multiband antenna experiments on my own.
    The small plastic bag has my SOTAbeams Click2Tune.
    It works for the FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897.

Attached Files:

K3PDH likes this.
  5. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

WP_20151212_001.jpg
    I store and transport in an indestructible steel first aid box, but since it weighs more than the contents, I transfer to a bag for backpacking.

AJ6KZ and K3PDH like this.
  6. AI6KX

Box lid and logbook removed to show the Weber Tribander, noise-cancelling earbuds, speaker, ATU, 10 ft RG174 jumper, keyer paddle, Li-ion battery, charger, coax adaptors, clipboard, LED light, a few tools. In an A4 stationery box. It's resting on a folding stand that weighs about 5 ounces.
    place for everything.jpg
    The box is light but flimsy so I screw the bottom to the lid with the clipboard to stiffen the assembly and create a lap desk.
    lap desk in operation.jpg

Parallel dipoles for 20, 17, and 15 and 45' RG-174. The foam rubber tiles make good seat cushions. antenna.jpg
    Oops - rotational failure... Same gear used at home with a cheap amp (outboard LPF shown) desk operation.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    K3PDH likes this.
  7. AI6KX

Do they make freeze-dried Beanee Weenees?

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Run that "Beanee Weenie" thru a mouli, and dehydrate? Add hot water.
    Heh. I am an ultralight backpacker. That, will become more apparent.

The FT-817ND on my day pack (up the thread) is a "tubby" at 2 lbs. 7.2 oz.
    My recent acquisition is a YouKits TJ2B MK2 at 1 lb. 9.8 oz.
    HF SSB and all reasonably "trail friendly" nevertheless, I still look around for weight savings.

Here is the HF "HT" w/carry case.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  9. WY1C

WY1C Ham Member QRZ Page

image.jpeg

Icom 703
    End Fed wire

KU3X likes this.
  10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't mistake me for a back packer. I am familiar with the term, but that is where all similarities end. I am also not 100% qrp, just out at the farm. For me, it is all about
    getting out of the shack and enjoying my two favorite out door activities. Ham radio and fishing. I drive to my farm, 20 minutes, drive through the pasture, 5 minutes, and am set up for qrp cw ham radio and fishing for hybrid blue gill and sunfish in 15 minutes. The older I get the simpler I want things. I was out of sardines during the photo session. Now I am off to google that radio you featured in your post. Never seen that before. How did I miss it? Thanks for posting. Oh, BTW, for those who haven't taken a ham radio out of the towns, cities where you live and experienced the often zero noise floor that is offered out there I recommend you try it.

again, thanks for the new thread.

K5DBJ, KO4BCN, F8WBD and 2 others like this.