Show off time! Post some photos of your AM-centric shacks!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Jul 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

:eek::eek::eek:

I believe the UK English term is "gobsmacked" - that's me - right now - WOW!!!

Dave
    W7UUU

N6YW likes this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah, we always admire Brett's shack. It's pretty impressive. Look like fun!

3. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

:oops: I can't. My house done went burned up and my station is in need of de-wetting and restoration ... Again!!!

Not to mention I need a new camera too.

Waaaaah! o_O

Oh my, Brett. :eek:

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

First photo, my Bauer 707, "Rod", The Refrigerator Of Death. Second photo....Eric, brother, KK4TVR touching my aerial under full strap conditions.

Feel-up rod.jpg tvr.jpg

MM0IMC, N6YW, KD2ACO and 1 other person like this.
  5. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

20190202_214056.jpg Here are a couple shots I took with my dumb-phone (shame shame) when I prepared a subset of my station for the last AM Rally. I did not have my wide-angle lens available to share all the other "cRUSTY" anchors.

The rack is a pair of PP 250-THs, modded by a pair of PP 810s, which I recently restored. Yes, it does retain a bridge of those beautiful mercury vapour 866s! It originally was built by my grandfather, W8YNG, in 1937. This rig was also used by my dad, W2DU in the late '60s.

Military (MARS) 51J4 manufactured for Beckman gave the RSP-2 a run for its money on receive. Separate audio amplifier and studio speakers out of view on window sill for pleasant audio.

I used a Heath VFO and Viker II for RF exciter. Marshall MXL-990, Behringer VX-2000 and Mackie 1202VLZ feeding a UTC MLF speech amplifier to tickle the 810s.

Some may confuse the ugly tuna (atop the 250-TH rack) for a still, but I keep that hidden in the back room, lest the revenuers want a sip (no gulp).

{ 20190202_214020.jpg
    Note: The coffee mug was the most important component of the entire station! Beer Stein Later!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    KW6LA, W2VW, N6YW and 2 others like this.
  6. W8KHK

Forget the rally, this is how I felt the next day..... RoughNight.JPG

MM0IMC, W2VW, N6YW and 2 others like this.
  7. W8KHK

I went to my own way-back machine, and found a few photos of my grandfather and my father, with this old relic. I don't think it will ever die. Three generations in the same family. It is time I interest my son or daughter in ham radio, no??

The black crackle rack rigs to the left of the aluminum paneled 250-TH sport pairs of 450TH finals. I still have one. SHOULD I COMMENCE RESTORATION???

Most of the equipment is accounted for, including the panoramic, the SX-28, the RME-69, and the Meissner Signal Shifter. I have no idea what became of the word processor to the left of the telephone?????

Just a bit more trivia... In the last two pictures, the green desk at the W2DU shack in Dayton, NJ belonged to none other than David Sarnoff, President and CEO of Radio Corporation of America, Princeton, NJ. When he ordered new furniture for his office, Dad bought that desk on sealed bid auction for $25.oo in 1954. It will be featured in a future shack picture at W8KHK as more equipment is restored. My shack will have more interesting memorabilia as time goes on.....

It is a rather small world. I thought some of you might like to know that when dad traveled from his home in Michigan to Princeton, NJ for an interview with RCA in 1949, the interviewer was a fellow by the name of Clarence Tuska, the originator of QST at ARRL. For a while, they chatted about ham radio. Then dad asked if they shouldn't get on with the interview. Tuska remarked, "The interview is over. You are hired. Welcome to RCA".
    w8yng_station.jpg w2du-1968-11.jpg w2du-1068.jpg

MM0IMC, AC0OB, W1BR and 5 others like this.
  8. W8KHK

20190307_214708.jpg 20190510_133846.jpg 20190510_133806.jpg This little baby will soon replacing the Mackie 1202VLZ and the Behringer 2000VX voice processor. A work of love for the past few months, a complete audio rack on a six inch by six inch PCA, handles everything from mic to speech amplifier.

Low Level and D-104 Mic and balanced Line input mixer, low cut filter, phase rotator (all pass filter) pre-emphasis, compressor/limiter, soft clipper, gain gate, SCAF continuously-variable bandwidth filter, and several balanced and unbalanced outputs to feed multiple transmitters. Erector set technology, user configurable modules all on a single board. What else could I possibly need?
    The goal is to provide clean, readable, natural sound within a controllable bandwidth, depending upon band conditions. All design and engineering done in the ole USA, but PCB fab delegated to our friends at JLCPCB in Shenzhen, China. They do FABULOUS quality work with quick turn-around. No more dead-bug or proto-board soldering for this ole ham!

A careful look at the board will reveal who has been busy! Not quite a shack photoYET, but soon!!!

W2BTK, W2VW, N6YW and 1 other person like this.
  9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

That 250TH rig is some quality home brew!
    Matching meters in matching spots, not often seen in homebrew...
    They were SERIOUS about their radio back then from looking at the pictures...

W8KHK likes this.
  10. W9JSW

W9JSW Ham Member QRZ Page

W8KHK,

Where is the MOSFET Driver board going to fit into this picture? Got it built yet? Mine is assembled and mounted on a heatsink but now awaiting other components to be assembled for the 813 rig.

You going to be selling boards?

John

W8KHK likes this.