Should there be an IQ test for amateur radio licenses

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KB2CRK, Sep 13, 2010.

?

Should an IQ test be given to prospective hams

1. yes

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. no

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. the current testing is adequate

33 vote(s)
    45.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

If they annoyed you, then you took them personally. But that was not the intention. I never said nor implied that all CB'ers are evil or bad people. Only the one who fits the category jumped in with the ignorance of that stupidity. And I never said that changes in the testing made it worse. I said the test was too easy and always has been. This thread asked about an IQ test for ham radio. If you didn't think there was a growing problem with idiots on the ham bands, you wouldn't have suggested it.

I am old enough to remember back to the 1960's when CB was still a good and well run band. Lots of families used it together. It was friendly and fun. We had call signs and followed (Usually) the rules. Over the years I made a lot of good friends on CB. Many of them still keep in touch even though we have all grown up, moved away made new friends....

In the 70's during the oil embargo, the truckers went on strike and got CB radios for their trucks. None of them gave a rats butt about the rules, they never got licenses, they cursed like drunken sailors, they were abusive.....they became the new model of CB radio. Mentioning CB to anyone gave them an instant picture of truckers.

In just a few short years, everyone got a CB. No one applied for the licenses and used them illegally. Then export radios took over the market with illegal power, illegal frequencies that are assigned to other services, unfiltered linears that bleed the entire band, people who think they own channels, people who think they know everything there is to know about radio, constant cursing.... blah blah blah....in other words, the CB mentality. In just 15 years, CB went from a family friendly band to the illegally abused X rated waste land it is today. Many hams who got their start in CB years ago have left that band to get away from this abuse.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't think that all of the problem people on ham radio are from CB alone. And there are still many good guys on CB. But they are becoming a rare breed these days. But the same exact trend is starting to infest the ham bands with people who have no respect for the hobby or it's rules. Yes there have always been, and will always be idiots in every radio service. But CB was once what ham radio is today, and the total abuse of the rules and protocols of CB that destroyed that band, is now starting to rear it's ugly face on ham radio, and doing the same thing again but to the ham bands. And it's getting much worse and very quickly.

This is the trash I refer to when talking about the idiots on CB. Not the guys who don't do this. My closest friend on ham radio and I first met on CB many years ago. When we migrated to ham radio, we learned the rules and protocols. And we abide by them and respect them. Is that too much to expect from anyone who becomes a licensed ham? We're not talking rocket science here. We are talking about simple honest respect. This is a concept that far too many CB'ers do not comprehend.

OK. "Apartment boy" (that's just funny) is down off his soapbox now.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Isn't it exciting!?

3. KB2CRK

KB2CRK Ham Member QRZ Page

just to let you know yet one more time. there is no trend towards cb behavior
    in ham radio. it has always been there and will continue to be there. the reason people stopped getting cb licenses is because the fcc stopped issuing them. as for the dirty amps you can buy them right here on the zed. i see them listed all the time

4. N3QAM

N3QAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is needed is a basic operating test before upgrading to the next class. You should have to SHOW that you are proficient with BASIC radio operation and know how to operate YOUR radio. Show some sort of proficiency in the classes you currently hold. There should also be a minimum time frame before upgrading to the next class .

So often , new hams are upgrading to General and Extra and do not have a grasp or clue on what it is that they memorized in the tech exams.

5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Several posts in this thread have crossed the line of acceptable behavior. Rather than delete the thread, I leave the rest for those to read what we don't want here.

..........Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.