Should the 13 Colonies special event, include the 14th colony?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by VE1JMB, Mar 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NX3W

NX3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Even as a relatively interested and avid history nerd I was not aware of this. It seems like an outstanding bonus station--we already have ENGLAND, of all places, as a bonus station... So why not Nova Scotia? It becomes a teachable opportunity for everyone, and also, as always, more stations = more contacts = more fun!

VE1JMB and KA2FIR like this.
  2. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

That falls under the 'no politics' ban imposed by QRZ.com, so this discussion should be pulled down (!)

W4IOA likes this.
  4. NX3W

NX3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you replying to the correct thread? If you are, would you care to explain?

From my perspective, a historical discussion of the history of the revolutionary war as relates specifically to a ham radio event relating to same isn't political. This specific apolitical discussion isn't even a particularly controversial one.

N5AF and K3UJ like this.
  5. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Er, it was tongue-in-cheek...

VE1JMB and KA2FIR like this.
  6. VE1JMB

VE1JMB Ham Member QRZ Page

That doesn't make any sense? This is a historical discussion from over 100 years ago?

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW - Which of the original 13 did not border on the Atlantic Ocean?

8. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be particularly controversial if one is a Commonwealth citizen. ;)

9. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes tongue-in-cheek is foot-in-mouth. (Did I just make up such a profound statement?)
    I say that with a smile, my friend.
    But seriously, to coin a phrase, this is a "teachable moment."
    We hams seem to have a tendency to think that others share our own sense(s) of humor.
    But one's sense of humor is often quite unique. (I love(d) Rumpole of the Bailey!) ("She who must be obeyed")
    Especially among hams. ;)
    So when you post something intending it to be a joke, use an emoji.:oops:
    They are free.
    Because we don't always get your sense of humor.:( But I did.:D
    Hope to catch you on the air.
    73, David K2WPM

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pennsylvania.

How many Americans can name all 13 colonies without looking at a map? My wife can, because she wasn't born here, so she learned them for her naturalization test. Before I helped her study, I might have made a mistake about the status of Vermont or something, but I would have got most of them.

NX3W likes this.