Should QRZ Stop Allowing Responses to Swapmeet Ads?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AJ4GQ, May 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W3JJW

W3JJW Subscriber QRZ Page

On other forums, the sale sub-forums do allow posting as a way of protecting sellers.

There are several ways members posting in sales threads can be useful to everyone.

By posting an "I'll take it" in a sales thread as is accepted practice on these forums, you publicly commit to buying on the forum. Although this is not much of a deterrent against flaking, it does leave a trace of any flaking behind for future reference. And on a forum like this one where the vast majority are using real identities, there is a real risk to your own reputation.

Another added benefit is that it can eliminate the bad feelings of who wins on a great deal because you can just stipulate that the first "I'll take it" posted gets it. Easy peasy.

Posting questions and getting answers can also be useful for other potential buyers while helping get attention for the seller. In addition, these discussions can help moderators more quickly identify potential scammers based on poor or incomplete responses. Secondly, it directly recruits members to actively interact with sellers, again creating slightly more likelihood of a scammer being caught/noticed/smelled.

All this being said, I know (because I have posted nonsense like, "Awesome deal here folks!") there are many posts that are just unnecessary and should continue to be moderated.

KV6O and KD0CAC like this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday I asked a question in an ad in reference to not taking Paypal "... due to ease of part swapping." The item for sale is an Elecraft XG3 - a handheld signal generator. I don't know what parts can be swapped out realistically, and asked the question - but it was deleted.

I think they should rename the "Online Swapmeet" to "Classified Ad's" or something similar - at a swapmeet I can ask questions in public. I understand the "price police" issue (yet this can help protect buyers at times), but my question was directed to the claim in his ad justifying his no PayPal position - which is a red flag for me. I am in the market for one of these, and even Elecraft takes Paypal.

I give up. I just purchased a Kenwood VFO on here a couple of weeks ago using Paypal, and everything went quite smoothly. Allowing this practice just increases the probability of fraud.

WD4IGX and KA9JLM like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a bit funny.

You may be a thief if you use paypal.

I guess parts swappers are on the rise. You could get banned from Amazon.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I just sent a request to an ad here on an SP-520. No paypal due to parts swappers... it's a SPEAKER in a metal chassis - what can you swap? Take a picture or it, or even mark it on the inside - I'd be fine with that.

This "part swapper" thing is getting out of hand - every buyer is a crook apparently. What if you sell a discrete item, like a tube, or a piece of wire? Where does this end?

5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang a new source of parts Amazon ;)
    Maybe the drone could take out the needed part before it drops it off , HI Hi

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I am going to post an ad for a billet of aluminum... no PayPal due to part swappers....:rolleyes:

7. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'l have to send you back a fruit cake - rapped in aluminum foil ;)
    Hay , you might even be able to put it in a lathe & make something out of it ?

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All it takes is ONE TIME.

I had a "parts swapper" rob all the tubes from a receiver, complain to Paypal, get a 100% refund, and I got to pay return shipping.

Just don't buy from me then :)

Cuz I will not sell using Paypal ever again. Burn me once, shame on them. Burn me twice, shame on me.

Dave
    W7UUU

W3ESE and N3AB like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why did you have to pay return shipping ?

Did you have to pay the paypal fee also ?

10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to pay return shipping if I wanted the chassis back. Which I did. Many sellers just abandon the item rather than pay the return freight. But the guy had all the tubes - why just leave him the chassis as well?

The fees were refunded. But big deal :(

I just learned what can happen, and have changed my ways.

YMMV - I don't begrudge anyone from using any method they want to sell stuff. I just have my methods as well, and if folks don't want to buy from me, that's entirely up to them :)

When I sell stuff on eBay, I list "for parts or not working" as my protection, even if the item is brand new. Paypal in most instances will not issue refunds for items sold on eBay listed this way.

Dave
    W7UUU

W3ESE and N3AB like this.