Should QRZ Stop Allowing Responses to Swapmeet Ads?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AJ4GQ, May 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some years ago QRZ stopped allowing non-seller response postings to Swapmeet ads because they became more trouble than they were worth. Fred’s current rules prohibit commentary, the price police, and “I’ll take it” and “email sent”, and restricts potential buyers to inquiries about the item or price. QRZ has good reasons for these rules but it seems that they are not being followed and they are causing other problems. Is it time to stop allowing these non-seller posts?

Here are some of the problems caused by allowing these posts:

1. They are scammer bait, just like WTB ads. Most scam attempts on QRZ today are unsolicited emails in response to someone posting to a For Sale ad.

2. They are unfair to the Seller by asking loaded questions or attempting to shut down interest in the item or just polluting the ad with misinformation.

3. Some folks are trying to hijack the Seller’s ad by piggy backing their own item.

4. They take up an inordinate amount of Moderator time because each and every response has to be read and approved or removed.

Here are some reasons why the postings should continue:

1. Some sellers will not get responses to their ad because they are not set up to receive notifications of ‘Conversations’ and/or do not have a listed email.

2. Some Sellers omit important information from their ads such as price or payment methods and they would not receive reminder posts from other members.

3. There may be economic reasons from QRZ’s standpoint in potential viewer or click reductions.

In any case, my question assumes that Sellers would continue to be able to reply to their own posts and add whatever additional information they wished.

I’m sure there are other reasons pro and con. What are your thoughts? If it were up to us, would we stop allowing these posts or not?

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have become quite dissatisfied with the whole QRZ buying process, and rarely purchase here anymore. I think one of the the important tenants of being able to respond is to prove your "place in line", so to speak. Back when I tried to purchase stuff I'd post "I'll take it" and get an e-mail from the seller that it was already sold. Not some isolated experience, this occurred MANY TIMES. I have had numerous posts removed when I try to do this, or provide relevant info - not being the "price police". I am not sure why conversation is banned - this is EXACTLY what would go on at a real swap-meet.

So, I don't bother anymore (with very few exceptions). I also don't understand allowing sellers to require a money order rather than PayPal, that's just asking for trouble. I'll also point out that I haven't has a single problem with an actual sale on QRZ, and have NEVER sent a money order.

I don't think I have ever seen #1 or #3 - can you link to an ad where this happened?

In the end, it's QRZ's playground, I understand, but they seem to shoot themselves in the foot more than they take care of real threats, IMHO.

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they are not very bright and I wouldn't want to deal with them anyway.
    See my previous comment!

KN7S likes this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that if within reason ,
    Its just calibration .
    Much like any other interaction , sometimes peoples adds , content / or the lack of , makes for poor sales .
    Help to bring reality , as an example , I bought this new last yr. , the retail price was ???? and my asking price is the same .
    Or , hay if you would put some pictures in the add , I might be interested .
    Or , clean the dust off , show it turned on etc.
    And the most important - with all the scams going on , some interaction with seller may help me think it is ok to send money .
    But as usual , some bad behavior makes for rules for the rest , no win situation .

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KN7S likes this.
  6. N3AB

N3AB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What???????

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They don't need to set up notifications. All they need to do is log on to The Zed and check the thread or their PM's at their convenience.

8. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While I personally subscribe to selling to the first responder who meets the asking price, this is not set in law nor a moral issue.

The Seller determines who he sells to, not your "proven place in line". shrug. Additionally, other prospective payers may have offered more money or a sweeter deal.

Keep in mind that sellers often post adverts in multiple places, not just on The Zed, and the sale may come through another venue that you never see. Nothing unfair about that.

Finally, it sounds like you would be happier purchasing through auction sites, rather than plain For-Sale lists.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar thread to this:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...-sell-to-the-first-person-who-replies.596500/

Dave
    W7UUU

KB4QAA likes this.
  10. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I must agree with this, I too have become less than satisfied with the lack of ability to say I'll take it, etc...