ad: M2Ant-1

Should QRZ.com Reinstate the \'Callsign Lookup\' Counter?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

R. Blaine Fox writes ...

"Greetings to my fellow amateurs around the world...

I am writing this after having some discussion with Steve, N7TX, who is a staff editor at QRZ.COM. QRZ has decided to halt the callsign lookup counter, due to the fact that certain amateurs were tying up valuable time on QRZ's server by logging in over and over again to get their 'count' up, for whatever reason.

In fact, Steve revealed to me that it was in fact one particular person who was using some type of PC application to make his computer look up his own callsign once every second. Steve tells me that this person has been dealt with accordingly, and they are evaluating whether or not to bring this feature back to the web site.

I have heard a couple of complaints from amateurs on the air. They did not like the fact that QRZ.COM was tracking 'look-ups' for their callsign. However, now that the tracking numbers are gone (or at least not available for public display,) I am hearing much more discontent over the fact that they've stopped this process.

My question is this: How do YOU feel about this subject? Do you think (as I do) that it was a valuable addition to the callsign lookup feature on QRZ.COM, or do you believe that it served no purpose whatsoever?

I have suggested to Steve that the editors of QRZ.COM might consider this for a poll question on the site. I hope that they take it under serious consideration. Let the people decide! (And to you Florida voters, NO re-counts, Hi Hi!!!)

Is this topic worth discussion, or am I way out in left field on this one? Comments are appreciated!

73, es gud dx de N9LXX~~~

R. Blaine Fox

Beloit, WI"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.