Should I use /QRP added to my call on FT8?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AK7AN, Jan 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AK7AN

AK7AN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, Thanks for all the replies and scoldings LOL.. I see from the consensus that it is not a good idea. Just need to figure out a way to keep track of my 2 different operating styles...., Yes, I did read the documentation.. Did you????? Not sure what weak signal has anything to do with running an Amp.. LOL.. BTW a Flex 1500 is QRP.. just sayin.
    73 to all and life is awesome..
    Ed

K3RW likes this.
  2. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Even with the most innocuous question the pseudo-anonymity of the Internet will turn people into keyboard commandos on here. o_O

You're right, the amp and QRP have nothing to do with each other. Its been said many times that JT (and now FT8) modes are weak-signal, not weak power modes. I detest 'Texas Pete' running a beam on a gentleman's 1500kW all over the segment, but if ALC isn't pumping on his end, then its merely annoying because he is loud. Its actually worse to have a much quieter 100w local guy running full-scale ALC. That signal is not only loud (to me), it isn't clean either. Might as well be running a spread spectrum jammer. My compromise antenna situation doesn't run well against either of them.

IMO, for your purposes it absolutely makes sense to indicate QRP, but I would suggest doing it on the last TX and not the first. So you'd sign off '73 5w QRP AK7AN' or something like that. People will see that in their decodes list depending if they are calling even/odds/ or are just monitoring.

GL and 73.

3. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

If I hear a weak-signal CW station calling CQ, I'm more likely to answer them if they append /QRP to their call sign
    because I figure that they can probably hear my signal (typically 20-100W) as well or better than I can hear theirs.
    If I think they are transmitting QRO, I may not make the effort because they probably can't hear me well either.

I've spent enough time operating QRP to appreciate those who are willing to put up with low signal levels
    to work my low-power station.

That said, it's a waste of everybody's time to lengthen your call with /QRP on every go-round in a QSO.

K3RW likes this.
  4. KD9PK

KD9PK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Side note: there is no limit to power on FT8... it is weak signal...not weak transmit. Good operating practice says minimum to get the job done but there is no limit.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Except it is designed for EME weak signal operations, QRO terrestrial ops is just more QRM.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Which will NOT work.

RTM

7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find /QRP most annoying - especially from the logging aspect when someone insists that I eQSL
    to ID1OT/QRP instead of ID1OT .... nope

8. KC7RAD

KC7RAD Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I tried appending /QRP to my FT8 for a few hours on 20M. Then I tried without. Far from scientific, and likely quite error-prone, the results indicated more people called me when I DIDN'T use /QRP. Actually, I received about 2x more calls when I did not use the suffix.

YMMV.