Should I use a balun for a G5RV?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0CPH, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff.... I agree 100%. Unfortunately, more often than not newbies are left to fend for themselves. Some find forums like QRZ... Unfortunately, there are so many on the forum posed to show their knowledge that they either forget or don't understand the needs of a new ham... Years ago, Elmers took the hand of a newbie and explained and showed our hobby. Today, it's I'm smart and let me demonstrate why others aren't as smart... Love those on the forum who are constantly using equations and computer models to demonstrate their knowledge. A good working G5RV isn't rocket science... there are those out there as well as on the forum that want to make it rocket science.

What ever happened to "Simple is Best"?

2. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

It met quantum theory!

3. W2AAT

It's the age old question... "Which is worth more; A bucket full of quanta or a bucket full of crabs legs?" Personally, I feel that Crab legs with lemon tainted melted butter are worth more that quanta with lemon tainted butter.... Yet, the folks at CERN might feel differently....

4. N5WVR

N5WVR Ham Member QRZ Page

That hasn't been my experience. Every ham club I've ever joined has welcomed newbies and tried to help them. Admittedly the nearest club may not be close by, and may meet at a time that the new ham can't attend. But it's worth making the effort to find a club instead of always reaching for the Net.

5. W2AAT

There are many of us out there who are loaners and as such shy away from clubs and other formal structures. Forums like QRZ offer these people an opportunity to belong without being a participant. They learn from monitoring communications. They can ask questions without having to defend themselves. Sort of like distance learning... Good "nuts and bolts" responses teach them... Intellectual or faux intellectual responses drives them away from learning the hobby and technology...

6. KD6RF

KD6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree with most of what you say Charles. The problem is that the friendly or easy-to-understand responses and websites are not always correct. There's a fair amount of cruff out there that is counterproductive regarding G5RV, Baluns, Chokes, etc..., and often the "intellectual discussions" end up correcting the bad web-lore. OP ends up getting a better and/or less costly system.

FWIW, there's not a dang thing wrong with in-depth wonky responses AND sending a friendly PM to the OP making sure he/she understands that it's all friendly discussion.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I started out more than 50 years ago, there was no Elmer who took my hand and explained and showed" me what to do. The few hams I met had resources far beyond what I could afford, and were mostly interested in bands and modes that I wasn't.

My Elmers were books. I learned to do my own research and teach myself.

But there was something else.....

Back then, the Novice license was the usual starting point, which meant HF CW on a few bands. Many Novices only had one or two bands and a few crystals. So the newcomers didn't need or want complex gear. In particular, antennas could be very simple.

Somewhere along the line, that got lost. We need to get that concept back.

KA2RRK, W2AAT and K7TRF like this.
  8. W2AAT

I agree.... Those days seemed simpler. I studied with a friend but we did have access to an old timer who would explain things and more importantly, share his "Hints and Kinks" experience with us.

I think that QRZ can be the area between books and elmers. I like it when newer hams come to the forum with questions or looking for technology suggestions. The problem is many chose this communication as a platform to show the world how smart they think they are. These people drive the newbie or lesser experienced away from future interactions on the forum.

Perhaps QRZ should build a forum for those wishing to show off or brag. I can suggest several here on the forum who surely would be interested in such an arena:cool:

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is funny.

Many operators use QRZ to lookup your class of licenses to tell how smart you are. :rolleyes:

DXE says no balun, But a coil of coax.

Have Fun.

10. AC4SR

AC4SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the G5RV and it's great for low profile/low impact with decent performance. I have always used a 1:1 with mine. Makes life easier.