Should I use a balun for a G5RV?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0CPH, Oct 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KE0CPH

KE0CPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Could the choke be between the radio and tuner?

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be, but the I3 issues still exist on the case of the tuner, so you can still get bitten by RF if you touch the tuner while in operation, and you can get RF on the power wires that feed the tuner, if the (-) lead is connected to the case.

The choke belongs at the transition from coaxial cable to the open-wire feeder. If that means a short coax jumper between a desktop tuner and the open-wire line, so that you have a place to insert the choke, that's fine.

N5WVR likes this.
  3. KE0CPH

So coax out of the tuner, choke then a balun to the ladder line?

If I only have the choke between the tuner and radio, you're saying the tuner could radiate?

4. KK5JY

In the case of running ladder line into the shack, I would use a short jumper out of the tuner, to a coaxial choke that has an RF connector on one side, and 1/4" studs on the other, and then hook the ladder line to the studs. E.g.,

upload_2018-10-14_19-3-46.png

Don't get hung up on the term "balun." In this particular context, the issue you are trying to solve is solved by the type of device seen above.

Personally, what I would do is put the choke out at the end of the G5RV's matching section of ladder line, and run coaxial cable into the shack. That is typically an easier task, easier to protect against lightning, and it preserves the performance on the bands for which the G5RV is designed to operate. But that's my preference. In any event, the device shown above is the type to use at the transition to coaxial cable to ladder line, for any symmetric multiband dipole antenna fed with ladder line.

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not a balun! It's a BLUM!

WB2UAQ likes this.
  6. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KK5JY likes this.
  7. KK5JY

8. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why play with a g5rv at all? It is really old.
    W5DXP is way more in the know than G5RV ever hoped to be!

KA2RRK

WB2UAQ likes this.
  9. KK5JY

10. KE0CPH

Wow, that site's hard to read at the front page. Bluish background with blue font isn't a good choice.